Profiling Poverty with Multivariate Adaptive Regression Splines
Using data from the 2003 Family Income and Expenditure Survey and 2005 Community-based Monitoring System for a city, Multivariate Adaptive Regression Splines (MARS) is used in identifying household poverty correlates in the Philippines. Models produced by MARS are more parsimonious yet contain theoretically and empirically sound set of household poverty correlates and have high accuracy in identifying a poor household. MARS provides a better alternative to logistic regression for a more efficient and effective implementation of a proxy means test in the identification of potential beneficiaries of poverty alleviation programs.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosario G. Manasan & Janet S. Cuenca, 2007. "Who Benefits from the Food-for-School Program : Lessons in Targeting," Development Economics Working Papers 21929, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Dean P. Foster & Robert A. Stine, 2001. "Variable Selection in Data Mining: Building a Predictive Model for Bankruptcy," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Aniceto C. Orbeta Jr., 2005.
"Poverty, Vulnerability and Family Size : Evidence from the Philippines,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22671, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aniceto C. Orbeta, 2006. "Poverty, Vulnerability and Family Size: Evidence from the Philippines," Chapters, in: Poverty Strategies in Asia, chapter 6 Edward Elgar.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C., 2005. "Poverty, Vulnerability and Family Size: Evidence from the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2005-19, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Houssou, Nazaire & Zeller, Manfred & Alcaraz V., Gabriela & Schwarze, Stefan & Johannsen, Julia, 2007. "Proxy Means Tests for Targeting the Poorest Households -- Applications to Uganda," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7946, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kuhnert, Petra M. & Do, Kim-Anh & McClure, Rod, 2000. "Combining non-parametric models with logistic regression: an application to motor vehicle injury data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 371-386, September.
- Foster D.P. & Stine R.A., 2004. "Variable Selection in Data Mining: Building a Predictive Model for Bankruptcy," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 303-313, January.
- Lipton, Michael & Ravallion, Martin, 1995.
"Poverty and policy,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2551-2657
- Balisacan, Arsenio M, 1993.
"Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(3), pages 533-62, April.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M., 1991. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 145723, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Manasan, Rosario G. & Cuenca, Janet S., 2007. "Who Benefits from the Food-for-School Program and Tindahan Natin Program: Lessons in Targeting," Discussion Papers DP 2007-10, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Ahmed, Akhter U. & Bouis, Howarth E., 2002. "Weighing what's practical: proxy means tests for targeting food subsidies in Egypt," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5-6), pages 519-540.
- Tabuga, Aubrey D., 2007. "International Remittances and Household Expenditures: the Philippine Case," Discussion Papers DP 2007-18, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Aubrey D. Tabuga, 2007. "International Remittances and Household Expenditures : The Philippine Case," Development Economics Working Papers 22698, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Reyes, Celia M., 2006. "Alternative Means Testing Options Using CBMS," Discussion Papers DP 2006-22, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2009-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.