Alternative Means Testing Options Using CBMS
The study proposes an alternative means to the present manner of identifying eligible Philhealth beneficiaries through the use of three criteria, namely : income, ownership of assets and socioeconomic characteristics, and electricity consumption. The information/data gathered in evaluating the criteria are sourced with the use of the community-based monitoring system (CBMS) approach. Given that many of the poor households may not have verifiable records/documents regarding the first criterionincomethe study recommends the adoption of a two-stage screening method using the other two criteria. Households are first classified on the basis of socioeconomic variables that are predictors of income-based poverty status. This is followed by a second stage screening based on electricity consumption for those who passed the first screening. The proposed methodology addresses the problem of undercoverage/exclusion of possible eligible beneficiaries from the program that is evident in the present manner of identifying beneficiaries.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coady, David P. & Parker, Susan W., 2005.
"Program participation under means-testing and self-selection targeting methods,"
191, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Coady, David P. & Parker, Susan W., 2005. "Program participation under means-testing and self-selection targeting methods," FCND discussion papers 191, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ubbarao, K. & Ahmed, A.U. & Teklu, T., 1996. "Selected Social Safety Net Programs in the Philippines. Targeting, Cost Effectiveness, and option for Reform," World Bank - Discussion Papers 317, World Bank.
- Mar, Pamela, 2003. "Asia Meets Europe: Inter-Regionalism and the Asia-Europe Meeting: Julie Gilson (Ed.); Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., UK, 2002, ISBN 1 84064 108 8," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 353-355, April.
- David Coady & Margaret Grosh & John Hoddinott, 2004. "Targeting of Transfers in Developing Countries : Review of Lessons and Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14902.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:develo:22685. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.