Anti-Poverty Transfers without Riots in Tunisia
In this paper, we draw some lessons from the Tunisian experience of social reforms and associated civil conflict. Our main interest is the riots that occurred after subsidy cuts and the attempts at substitution of price subsidies by direct cash transfers. We propose new welfare indicators apt to assess policy reforms in such situations. Using micro level data, we show that plausible policy decisions depend on parameters describing the balance between poverty and program exclusion risk. In the Tunisian case, only a much larger weight put on poverty relatively to exclusion could bring the decision maker to substitute the in force price subsidies with direct cash transfers.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Donder, Philippe & Hindriks, Jean, 1998.
" The Political Economy of Targeting,"
Springer, vol. 95(1-2), pages 177-200, April.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Schady, Norbert R., 2000.
"Picking the poor : indicators for geographic targeting in Peru,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2477, The World Bank.
- Schady, Norbert R, 2002. "Picking the Poor: Indicators for Geographic Targeting in Peru," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(3), pages 417-33, September.
- Bigman, David & Srinivasan, P. V., 2002. "Geographical targeting of poverty alleviation programs: methodology and applications in rural India," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 237-255, June.
- Christophe Muller, 2005.
"The Measurement Of Poverty With Geographical And Intertemporal Price Dispersion. Evidence From Rwanda,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2005-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Christophe Muller, 2008. "The Measurement Of Poverty With Geographical And Intertemporal Price Dispersion: Evidence From Rwanda," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(1), pages 27-49, 03.
- Christophe Muller, 2005. "The measurement of poverty with geographical and intertemporal price dispersion, Evidence from Rwanda," Working Papers DT/2005/16, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Besley, Timothy J & Kanbur, S M Ravi, 1988. "Food Subsidies and Poverty Alleviation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 701-19, September.
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1979. "Welfare Comparisons and Equivalence Scales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 216-21, May.
- Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin, 2005. "Decentralized targeting of an antipoverty program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 705-727, April.
- Muller, Christophe, 2002. "Prices and living standards: evidence for Rwanda," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 187-203, June.
- Coady, David P. & Grosh, Margaret & Hoddinott, John, 2002.
"Targeting outcomes redux,"
FCND discussion papers
144, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Christophe MULLER & Sami BIBI, 2008. "Focused Transfer Targeting against Poverty Evidence from Tunisia," THEMA Working Papers 2008-37, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- John Maluccio & Natàlia Caldés & David Coady, 2005.
"The Cost of Poverty Alleviation Transfer Programs: A Comparative Analysis of Three Programs in Latin America,"
Middlebury College Working Paper Series
0527, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Caldes, Natalia & Coady, David & Maluccio, John A., 2006. "The cost of poverty alleviation transfer programs: A comparative analysis of three programs in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 818-837, May.
- François BOURGUIGNON & Gary S. FIELDS, 1990.
"Poverty Measures and Anti-Poverty Policy,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1990038, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Ahmed, Akhter U. & Bouis, Howarth E., 2002. "Weighing what's practical: proxy means tests for targeting food subsidies in Egypt," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5-6), pages 519-540.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1990. "Regional disparities, targeting, and poverty in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 375, The World Bank.
- Skoufias, Emmanuel & Coady, David P., 2002.
"Are the welfare losses from imperfect targeting important?,"
125, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Emmanuel Skoufias & David P. Coady, 2007. "Are the Welfare Losses from Imperfect Targeting Important?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(296), pages 756-776, November.
- Skoufias, Emmanuel & Coady, David P., 2002. "Are the welfare losses from imperfect targeting important?," FCND discussion papers 125, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alderman, Harold & Lindert, Kathy, 1998. "The Potential and Limitations of Self-Targeted Food Subsidies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 213-29, August.
- Grosh, M.E. & Baker, J.L., 1995. "Proxy Means Tests for Targetting Social Programs. Simulations and Speculation," Papers 118, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Heinrich, Carolyn J., 2007. "Demand and Supply-Side Determinants of Conditional Cash Transfer Program Effectiveness," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 121-143, January.
- van de Walle, Dominique, 1998.
"Assessing the welfare impacts of public spending,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 365-379, March.
- Bibi, Sami & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 2007.
"Equity and policy effectiveness with imperfect targeting,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 109-140, May.
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2003. "Equity and Policy Effectiveness with Imperfect Targeting," Cahiers de recherche 0335, CIRPEE.
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2004. "Equity and Policy Effectiveness with Imperfect Targeting," Working Papers 0423, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 2004.
- Baker, Judy L. & Grosh, Margaret E., 1994. "Poverty reduction through geographic targeting: How well does it work?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 983-995, July.
- David Coady, 2004. "Targeting Outcomes Redux," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 19(1), pages 61-85.
- Park, Albert & Wang, Sangui & Wu, Guobao, 2002. "Regional poverty targeting in China," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 123-153, October.
- S. M. Ravi Kanbur, 1987. "Measurement and Alleviation of Poverty: With an Application to the Effects of Macroeconomic Adjustment (Evaluation quantitative de la pauvretÃ© et remÃ¨des possibles: analyse des effets d'un ajustemen," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Bigman, David & Fofack, Hippolyte, 2000. "Geographical Targeting for Poverty Alleviation: An Introduction to the Special Issue," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 129-45, January.
- Gutner, Tamar, 2002. "The political economy of food subsidy reform: the case of Egypt," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5-6), pages 455-476.
- Creedy, John, 1996. "Comparing Tax and Transfer Systems: Poverty, Inequality and Target Efficiency," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages S163-74, Suppl..
- Bourguignon, Francois & Fields, Gary, 1997. "Discontinuous losses from poverty, generalized P[alpha] measures, and optimal transfers to the poor," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 155-175, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2008-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.