Deregulation and Labor Earnings in the Airline Industry
This paper uses a variety of data sources to study the effect of deregulation on the structure of wages in the airline industry. Microdata from the 1980 and 1990 Censuses show a 10 percent decline in the relative earnings of airline workers after deregulation, with roughly similar declines for industry-specific occupations (pilots and flight attendants) and general occupations (managers and secretaries). Union contract data for pilots, flight attendants and mechanics at the major firms show similar trends in the levels of earnings along with a rise in inter-firm wage inequality -- especially for pilots. Finally, data from the displaced worker surveys reveal that airline workers experienced similar wage losses to job-losers from other industries over the 1980s. Taken as a whole, the evidence suggests that the rent premiums earned by airline workers in the regulatory era were relatively modest, and comparable to the wage premiums earned in many other sectors.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as in James Peoples, ed. Regulatory Reform and Labor Markets. Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Press, forthcoming 1997.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rose, Nancy L, 1987. "Labor Rent Sharing and Regulation: Evidence from the Trucking Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1146-78, December.
- Parent, D., 1995.
"Industry-Specific Capiatl and the Wage Profile: Evidence from the NLSY and the PSID,"
Cahiers de recherche
9508, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Daniel Parent, 1995. "Industry-Specific Capital and the Wage Profile: Evidence from the NLSY and the PSID," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-26, CIRANO.
- Parent, D., 1995. "Industry-Specific Capiatl and the Wage Profile: Evidence from the NLSY and the PSID," Cahiers de recherche 9508, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Wallace Hendricks, 1975. "The Effect of Regulation on Collective Bargaining in Electric Utilities," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 451-465, Autumn.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence Kahn, 1995.
"The Gender Earnings Gap: Some International Evidence,"
in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 105-144
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 1992. "The Gender Earnings Gap: Some International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card, 1986.
"The Impact of Deregulation on the Employment and Wages of Airline Mechanics,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 39(4), pages 527-538, July.
- David Card, 1986. "The Impact of Deregulation on the Employment and Wages of Airline Mechanics," NBER Working Papers 1847, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neal, Derek, 1995. "Industry-Specific Human Capital: Evidence from Displaced Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 653-77, October.
- Levy, Frank & Murnane, Richard J, 1992. "U.S. Earnings Levels and Earnings Inequality: A Review of Recent Trends and Proposed Explanations," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1333-81, September.
- Nancy L. Rose, 1985. "The Incidence of Regulatory Rents in the Motor Carrier Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 299-318, Autumn.
- Moore, Thomas Gale, 1978. "The Beneficiaries of Trucking Regulation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 327-43, October.
- Helwege, Jean, 1992. "Sectoral Shifts and Interindustry Wage Differentials," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(1), pages 55-84, January.
- repec:fth:prinin:350 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arthur S. De Vany, 1975. "The Effect of Price and Entry Regulation on Airline Output, Capacity and Efficiency," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(1), pages 327-345, Spring.
- David J. Walsh, 1988. "Accounting for the Proliferation of Two-Tier Wage Settlements in the U.S. Airline Industry, 1983â€“1986," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 42(1), pages 50-62, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:5687. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.