Income and Wealth Distribution in Macroeconomics: A Continuous-Time Approach
We recast the Aiyagari-Bewley-Huggett model of income and wealth distribution in continuous time. This workhorse model – as well as heterogeneous agent models more generally – then boils down to a system of partial differential equations, a fact we take advantage of to make two types of contributions. First, a number of new theoretical results: (i) an analytic characterization of the consumption and saving behavior of the poor, particularly their marginal propensities to consume; (ii) a closed-form solution for the wealth distribution in a special case with two income types; (iii) a proof that there is a unique stationary equilibrium if the intertemporal elasticity of substitution is weakly greater than one; (iv) characterization of “soft” borrowing constraints. Second, we develop a simple, efficient and portable algorithm for numerically solving for equilibria in a wide class of heterogeneous agent models, including – but not limited to – the Aiyagari-Bewley-Huggett model.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2017|
|Note:||AP EFG ME|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Barczyk & Matthias Kredler, 2014. "Altruistically motivated transfers under uncertainty," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 5(3), pages 705-749, November.
- Olivier Guéant & Pierre Louis Lions & Jean Michel Lasry, 2011. "Mean Field Games and Applications," Post-Print hal-01393103, HAL.
- Lars Ljungqvist & Thomas J. Sargent, 2004. "Recursive Macroeconomic Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026212274x, January.
- Francesco Lippi & Stefania Ragni & Nicholas Trachter, 2013.
"State Dependent Monetary Policy,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
1324, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2013.
- Lippi, Francesco & Ragni, Stefania & Trachter, Nicholas, 2014. "State dependent monetary policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 9795, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Lippi & Stefania Ragni & Nicholas Trachter, 2013. "State dependent monetary policy," Working Paper 13-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2006.
"The method of endogenous gridpoints for solving dynamic stochastic optimization problems,"
Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 312-320, June.
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2005. "The method of endogenous gridpoints for solving dynamic stochastic optimization problems," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/18, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christopher Carroll, 2005. "The Method of Endogenous Gridpoints for Solving Dynamic Stochastic Optimization Problems," Economics Working Paper Archive 520, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 2005. "The Method of Endogenous Gridpoints for Solving Dynamic Stochastic Optimization Problems," NBER Technical Working Papers 0309, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Carroll, 2005. "Mathematica and Matlab Programs for The Method of Endogenous Gridpoints for Solving Dynamic Stochastic Optimization Problems," Economics Companion Software Archive 3, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Charles I. Jones, 2015.
"Pareto and Piketty: The Macroeconomics of Top Income and Wealth Inequality,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 29(1), pages 29-46, Winter.
- Charles I. Jones, 2014. "Pareto and Piketty: The Macroeconomics of Top Income and Wealth Inequality," NBER Working Papers 20742, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greg Kaplan & Giovanni L. Violante, 2014. "A Model of the Consumption Response to Fiscal Stimulus Payments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 82(4), pages 1199-1239, July.
- Conze, Antoine & Lasry, Jean Michel & Scheinkman, Jose, 1993. "2. Borrowing Constraints and International Comovements," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 34(Special I), pages 23-47, December.
- Alexis Akira Toda & Kieran Walsh, 2015. "The Double Power Law in Consumption and Implications for Testing Euler Equations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 123(5), pages 1177-1200.
- Wang, Neng, 2007. "An equilibrium model of wealth distribution," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1882-1904, October.
- Charles I. Jones & Jihee Kim, 2014. "A Schumpeterian Model of Top Income Inequality," NBER Working Papers 20637, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acikgoz, Omer, 2015. "On the Existence and Uniqueness of Stationary Equilibrium in Bewley Economies with Production," MPRA Paper 71066, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Apr 2016.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:23732. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.