Is the Focus on Food Deserts Fruitless? Retail Access and Food Purchases Across the Socioeconomic Spectrum
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Eugene Jones, 1997. "An Analysis of Consumer Food Shopping Behavior Using Supermarket Scanner Data: Differences by Income and Location," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1437-1443.
- Courtemanche, Charles & Carden, Art, 2011.
"Supersizing supercenters? The impact of Walmart Supercenters on body mass index and obesity,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 165-181, March.
- Courtemanche, Charles & Carden, Art, 2008. "Supersizing Supercenters? The Impact of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Body Mass Index and Obesity," UNCG Economics Working Papers 09-3, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Department of Economics, revised 01 Jan 2010.
- Carlson, Andrea & Lino, Mark & Fungwe, Thomas V., 2007. "The Low-Cost, Moderate-Cost, and Liberal Food Plans, 2007," CNPP Reports 45850, United States Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- Susan Chen & Raymond J. G. M. Florax & Samantha Snyder & Christopher C. Miller, 2010. "Obesity and Access to Chain Grocers," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 86(4), pages 431-452, October.
- Neil Wrigley & Daniel Warm & Barrie Margetts, 2003. "Deprivation, diet, and food-retail access: findings from the Leeds 'food deserts' study," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 35(1), pages 151-188, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Noriko Amano, 2018. "Nutrition Inequality: The Role of Prices, Income, and Preferences," 2018 Meeting Papers 453, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Sumit Agarwal & J. Bradford Jensen & Ferdinando Monte, 2017.
"The Geography of Consumption,"
2017-062, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Agarwal, Sumit & Jensen, J Bradford & Monte, Ferdinando, 2017. "The Geography of Consumption," CEPR Discussion Papers 12150, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sumit Agarwal & J. Bradford Jensen & Ferdinando Monte, 2017. "The Geography of Consumption," NBER Working Papers 23616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew Freedman & Annemarie Kuhns, 2017. "Supply-Side Subsidies to Improve Food Access and Dietary Outcomes: Evidence from the New Markets Tax Credit," Working Papers 171804, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:10:y:2018:i:9:p:2988-:d:165231 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ver Ploeg, Michele L. & Mancino, Lisa & Dicken, Christopher W. & Farrigan, Tracey L. & Hertz, Thomas, 2017. "An Analysis of Exposure to Poor Food Environments and Diet-Related Health Outcomes," 2017 Annual Meeting, July 30-August 1, Chicago, Illinois 258218, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Fan, Linlin & Baylis, Kathy & Gundersen, Craig & Ver Ploeg, Michele, 2015. "Does a Nutritious Diet Cost More in Food Deserts?," 2015 AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California 205424, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Chenarides, Lauren & Jaenicke, Edward C., 2016. "Store Choice and Consumer Behavior in Food Deserts: An Empirical Application of the Distance Metric Method," 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, Boston, Massachusetts 235925, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
More about this item
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
- I24 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Education and Inequality
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
- R2 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis
- R3 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2015-05-09 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2015-05-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-URE-2015-05-09 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:21126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .