In with the Big, Out with the Small: Removing Small-Scale Reservations in India
An ongoing debate in employment policy is whether promoting small and medium enterprises creates more employment. Do small enterprises generate more employment growth than larger firms? We use the elimination of small-scale industry (SSI) promotion in India to address this question. For 60 years, SSI promotion in India focused on reserving certain products for manufacture by small and medium establishments. We identify the consequences for employment growth, investment, output, productivity, and wages of dismantling India’s SSI reservations. We exploit variation in the timing of de-reservation across products; our identification strategy is also robust to measuring the long-run impact of national SSI policy changes using variation in pre-treatment exposure at the district level, and to conducting placebo tests using products that were never de-reserved. Districts more exposed to de-reservation experienced higher employment and wage growth. The results suggest that promoting employment growth in the Indian case was not achieved via SSI reservation policies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Massari, Renzo & Reyes, Jose-Daniel & Taglioni, Daria, 2014.
"Exporter Dynamics, Firm Size and Growth, and Partial Year Effects,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9844, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Renzo Massari & Jose-Daniel Reyes & Daria Taglioni, 2014. "Exporter Dynamics, Firm Size and Growth, and Partial Year Effects," NBER Working Papers 19865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Massari, Renzo & Reyes, Jose-Daniel & Taglioni, Daria, 2013. "Exporter dynamics, firm size and growth, and partial year effects," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6711, The World Bank.
- John C. Haltiwanger & Ron S. Jarmin & Javier Miranda, 2010.
"Who Creates Jobs? Small vs. Large vs. Young,"
NBER Working Papers
16300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Harding & Måns Söderbom & Francis Teal, 2004.
"Survival and Success among African Manufacturing Firms,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Alan Harding & Måns Söderbom & Francis Teal, 2004. "Survival and Success among African Manufacturing Firms," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- David Neumark & Brandon Wall & Junfu Zhang, 2011.
"Do Small Businesses Create More Jobs? New Evidence for the United States from the National Establishment Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 16-29, August.
- Neumark, David & Wall, Brandon & Zhang, Junfu, 2008. "Do Small Businesses Create More Jobs? New Evidence for the United States from the National Establishment Time Series," IZA Discussion Papers 3888, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mead, Donald C. & Liedholm, Carl, 1998. "The dynamics of micro and small enterprises in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 61-74, January.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Francis Teal & Alan Harding & MÃƒÂ¥ns SÃƒÂ¶derbom, 2004. "Survival and Success among African Manufacturing Firms," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Francis Teal, 1998. "The Ghanaian manufacturing sector 1991-1995: firm growth, productivity and convergence," CSAE Working Paper Series 1998-17, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1995. "Size, age and firm growth in an infant industry: The computer hardware industry in India," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 111-126, March.
- Panagariya, Arvind, 2011.
"India: The Emerging Giant,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199751563, March.
- Sleuwaegen, Leo & Goedhuys, Micheline, 2002. "Growth of firms in developing countries, evidence from Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 117-135, June.
- Francis Teal, 1998. "The Ghanaian manufacturing sector 1991-1995: firm growth, productivity and convergence," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1998-17, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- K. R. Shanmugam & Saumitra Bhaduri, 2002. "Size, age and firm growth in the Indian manufacturing sector," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(9), pages 607-613.
- Arne Bigsten & Mulu Gebreeyesus, 2007. "The Small, the Young, and the Productive: Determinants of Manufacturing Firm Growth in Ethiopia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 813-840.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:19942. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.