Limiting Emissions and Trade: Some Basic Ideas
The computable general equilibrium models used in the literature tend to be a bit of a black box. This paper provides some intuition behind what goes on in these black boxes by laying out a simple general equilibrium model and intuitively explaining what lies behind the demand for emissions. It traces out how a reduction in total emissions allowed in one country aspects the general equilibrium and the determinants of the extent of leakage in the model as well as more generally. It concludes with some implications for policy.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Publication status:||published as Limiting Emissions and Trade: Some Basic Ideas , Kala Krishna. in The Design and Implementation of U.S. Climate Policy , Fullerton and Wolfram. 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Peter J. Wilcoxen, 2009. "The Economic And Environmental Effects Of Border Tax Adjustments For Climate Policy," CAMA Working Papers 2009-09, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Cherkashin, Ivan & Demidova, Svetlana & Kee, Hiau Looi & Krishna, Kala, 2015.
"Firm heterogeneity and costly trade: A new estimation strategy and policy experiments,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 18-36.
- Svetlana Demidova & Kala Krishna & Hiau Looi Kee & Ivan Cherkashin, 2009. "Firm Heterogeneity and Costly Trade: A New Estimation Strategy and Policy Experiments," 2009 Meeting Papers 1199, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ivan Cherkashin & Svetlana Demidova & Hiau Looi Kee & Kala Krishna, 2010. "Firm Heterogeneity and Costly Trade: A New Estimation Strategy and Policy Experiments," NBER Working Papers 16557, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cherkashin, Ivan & Demidova, Svetlana & Kee, Hiau Looi & Krishna, Kala, 2015. "Firm heterogeneity and costly trade: a new estimation strategy and policy experiments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7156, The World Bank.
- Boehringer Christoph & Fischer Carolyn & Rosendahl Knut Einar, 2010.
"The Global Effects of Subglobal Climate Policies,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(2), pages 1-35, December.
- Böhringer, Christoph & Fischer, Carolyn & Rosendahl, Knut Einar, 2010. "The Global Effects of Subglobal Climate Policies," Discussion Papers dp-10-48, Resources For the Future.
- Christoph Böhringer & Carolyn Fischer & Knut Einar Rosendahl, 2010. "The Global Effects of Subglobal Climate Policies," Discussion Papers 634, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Michael Grubb & Karsten Neuhoff, 2006.
"Allocation and competitiveness in the EU emissions trading scheme: policy overview,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 7-30, January.
- Grubb, M. & Neuhoff, K., 2006. "Allocation and competitiveness in the EU emissions trading scheme: policy overview," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0645, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Atkinson, Giles & Hamilton, Kirk & Ruta, Giovanni & Van Der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2010. "Trade in'virtual carbon': empirical results and implications for policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5194, The World Bank.