Cross-Border Valuation: The International Cost of Equity Capital
How does a firm in one country evaluate an investment in a firm in another country, or how does it evaluate a foreign project that the firm itself is undertaking? The firm must estimate future free cash flows just as in a domestic project, but choosing an appropriate discount rate is a particular challenge. This study examines the determinants of the discount rate for an international acquisition or project by examining the sources of risk in an international setting. These risks include stock-market price risk measured with various versions of the capital asset pricing model, as well as exchange rate risk and political risk. To measure stock market risk, both segmented and integrated models of the world equity markets are considered. The emphasis of the study is on some of the practical aspects of estimation, particular for markets where no comparable investments exist on which to base estimates of risk premiums. To show how each of these risks might be measured, the study reports estimates for a representative French firm, Thals. The estimates range widely depending on whether or not the equity market is globally integrated.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dumas, Bernard & Harvey, Campbell R. & Ruiz, Pierre, 2003.
"Are correlations of stock returns justified by subsequent changes in national outputs?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 777-811, November.
- Dumas, Bernard & Harvey, Campbell R. & Ruiz, Pierre, 2000. "Are Correlations of Stock Returns Justified by Subsequent Changes in National Outputs?," Working Papers 00-2, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Adler, Michael & Dumas, Bernard, 1983. " International Portfolio Choice and Corporation Finance: A Synthesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 925-84, June.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1991. " The World Price of Covariance Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 111-57, March.
- Philippe Jorion & William N. Goetzmann, 2000.
"A Century of Global Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
7565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William N. Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1997. "A Century of Global Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 5901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1997. "A Century of Global Stock Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm53, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2000.
- William N. Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 2004. "A Century of Global Stock Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm16, Yale School of Management.
- Lee, Charles & Shleifer, Andrei & Thaler, Richard H., 1991.
"Investor Sentiment and the Closed-End Fund Puzzle,"
27693394, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bodnar, G.M. & Dumas, B. & Marston, R.C., 1998.
"Pass-Through and Exposure,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
98-01, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Emil Dabora, 1998.
"How are Stock Prices Affected by the Location of Trade?,"
NBER Working Papers
6572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Dabora, Emil M., 1999. "How are stock prices affected by the location of trade?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-216, August.
- Adler, Michael & Qi, Rong, 2003. "Mexico's integration into the North American capital market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 91-120, June.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Chordia, Tarun & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 1998. "Alternative factor specifications, security characteristics, and the cross-section of expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 345-373, September.
- Heston, Steven L. & Rouwenhorst, K. Geert, 1994. "Does industrial structure explain the benefits of international diversification?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-27, August.
- Eugene Fama & F. & Kenneth R. French, .
"The Equity Premium.","
CRSP working papers
522, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
- Dumas, Bernard & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. " The World Price of Foreign Exchange Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 445-79, June.
- Donald R. Lessard, 1996. "Incorporating Country Risk In The Valuation Of Offshore Projects," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(3), pages 52-63.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:10115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.