Improved Variance Estimation of Maximum Likelihood Estimators in Stable First-Order Dynamic Regression Models
In dynamic regression models conditional maximum likelihood (least-squares) coefficient and variance estimators are biased. From expansions of the coefficient variance and its estimator we obtain an approximation to the bias in variance es- timation and a bias corrected variance estimator, for both the standard and a bias corrected coefficient estimator. These enable a comparison of their mean squared errors to second order. We formally derive sufficient conditions for admissibility of these approximations. Illustrative numerical and simulation results are presented on bias reduction of coefficient and variance estimation for three relevant classes of ?rst-order autoregressive models, supplemented by e¤ects on mean squared er- rors, test size and size corrected power. These indicate that substantial biases do occur in moderately large samples, but these can be mitigated substantially and may also yield mean squared error reduction. Crude asymptotic tests are cursed by huge size distortions. However, operational bias corrections of both the esti- mates of coefficients and their estimated variance are shown to curb type I errors reasonably well.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332|
Fax: 6795 5797
Web page: http://egc.hss.ntu.edu.sg/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anindya Roy & Barry Falk & Wayne A. Fuller, 2004. "Testing for Trend in the Presence of Autoregressive Error," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 1082-1091, December.
- James G. MacKinnon & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., .
"Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics,"
GSIA Working Papers
1997-36, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Jan F. Kiviet & Garry D. A. Phillips, 2000. "Improved Coefficient and Variance Estimation in Stable First-Order Dynamic Regression Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0631, Econometric Society.
- Sawa, Takamitsu, 1978. "The exact moments of the least squares estimator for the autoregressive model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 159-172, October.
- Bao, Yong & Ullah, Aman, 2007. "The second-order bias and mean squared error of estimators in time-series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 650-669, October.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1992.
"Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: A Re-examination,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 661-80, August.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: a re-examination," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 139, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Orcutt, Guy H & Winokur, Herbert S, Jr, 1969. "First Order Autoregression: Inference, Estimation, and Prediction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Ullah, Aman, 2004. "Finite Sample Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 1, number 9780198774488, June.
- Grubb, David & Symons, James, 1987. "Bias in Regressions With a Lagged Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 371-386, June.
- Jan F. Kiviet & Garry D. A. Phillips, 2005. "Moment approximation for least-squares estimators in dynamic regression models with a unit root *," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 115-142, 07.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1994. "Bias assessment and reduction in linear error-correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 215-243, July.
- Bao, Yong, 2007. "The Approximate Moments Of The Least Squares Estimator For The Stationary Autoregressive Model Under A General Error Distribution," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(05), pages 1013-1021, October.
- Kiviet, J.F. & Phillips, G.D.A., 1999. "The Bias of the 2SLS Variance Estimator," Discussion Papers 9904, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1992.
"The uncertain unit root in real GNP,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
193, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Phillips, G.D.A., 1999.
"An Alternative Approach to Obtaining Nagar-Type Moment Approximations in Sumultaneous Equation Models,"
9905, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Phillips, Garry D. A., 2000. "An alternative approach to obtaining Nagar-type moment approximations in simultaneous equation models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 345-364, August.
- Kiviet, J.F. & Phillips, G.D.A., 1999.
"Higher-Order Asymptotic Expansions of the Least-Squares Estimation Bias in First-Order Dynamic Regression Models,"
9903, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D.A., 2012. "Higher-order asymptotic expansions of the least-squares estimation bias in first-order dynamic regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3705-3729.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A. & Schipp, Bernhard, 1995. "The bias of OLS, GLS, and ZEF estimators in dynamic seemingly unrelated regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 241-266, September.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D.A., 1993. "Alternative Bias Approximations in Regressions with a Lagged-Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 62-80, January.
- Jan F. Kiviet & Garry D.A. Phillips, 1998. "Degrees of freedom adjustment for disturbance variance estimators in dynamic regression models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 1(RegularPa), pages 44-70.
- Karim Abadir & Kaddour Hadri & Elias Tzavalis, .
"The Influence of VAR Dimensions on Estimator Biases,"
96/14, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Karim M. Abadir & Kaddour Hadri & Elias Tzavalis, 1999. "The Influence of VAR Dimensions on Estimator Biases," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 163-182, January.
- Sargan, J D, 1976. "Econometric Estimators and the Edgeworth Approximation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 421-48, May.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 2012. "Monte Carlo Simulation for Econometricians," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 5(1–2), pages 1-181, March.
- Yang, Zhenlin, 2015. "A general method for third-order bias and variance corrections on a nonlinear estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 178-200.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nan:wpaper:1206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magdalene Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.