Approximate bias correction in econometrics
This paper discusses ways to reduce the bias of consistent estimators that are biased in finite samples. It is necessary only that the bias function, which relates parameter values to bias, should be estimable by computer simulation or by some other method. If so, bias can be reduced or even eliminated. Unfortunately, reducing bias may increase the variance of an estimator.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chesher, Andrew, 1995. "A Mirror Image Invariance for M-Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 207-11, January.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D.A., 1993. "Alternative Bias Approximations in Regressions with a Lagged-Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 62-80, January.
- James G. MacKinnon & Anthony A. Smith Jr., 1995.
"Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics,"
919, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James G. MacKinnon & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics," GSIA Working Papers 1997-36, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Smith, A.A., 1996. "Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1992. "Regression-based methods for using control variates in Monte Carlo experiments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 203-222.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:10:y:1994:i:1:p:116-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Orcutt, Guy H & Winokur, Herbert S, Jr, 1969. "First Order Autoregression: Inference, Estimation, and Prediction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Sawa, Takamitsu, 1978. "The exact moments of the least squares estimator for the autoregressive model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 159-172, October.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:9:y:1993:i:1:p:62-80 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S85-118, Suppl. De.
- Smith, A A, Jr, 1993. "Estimating Nonlinear Time-Series Models Using Simulated Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S63-84, Suppl. De.
- Tony Smith & Fallaw Sowell & Stanley Zin, .
"Fractional integration with Drift: Estimation in Small Samples,"
GSIA Working Papers
22, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Smith, Anthony A, Jr & Sowell, Fallaw & Zin, Stanley E, 1997. "Fractional Integration with Drift: Estimation in Small Samples," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 103-16.
- Phillips, Peter C. B., 1988. "The ET Interview: Professor James Durbin," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(01), pages 125-157, April.
- Russell Davidson & James G. Mackinnon, 1990. "Regression-Based Methods for Using Control and Antithetic Variates in Monte Carlo Experiments," Working Papers 781, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1994. "Bias assessment and reduction in linear error-correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 215-243, July.
- Chesher, Andrew & Peters, Simon, 1994. "Symmetry, Regression Design, and Sampling Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 116-129, March.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Exactly Median-Unbiased Estimation of First Order Autoregressive/Unit Root Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 139-65, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:85:y:1998:i:2:p:205-230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.