Regression-Based Methods for Using Control and Antithetic Variates in Monte Carlo Experiments
Methods based on linear regression provide a very easy way to use the information in control and antithetic variates to improve the efficiency with which certain features of the distributions of estimators and test statistics are estimated in Monte Carlo experiments. We propose a new technique that allows these methods to be used when the quantities of interest are quantiles. Ways to obtain approximately optimal control variates in many cases of interest are also proposed. These methods seem to work well in practice, and can greatly reduce the number of replications required to obtain a given level of accuracy.
|Date of creation:||May 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1981. "Efficient estimation of tail-area probabilities in sampling experiments," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 73-77.
- D. F. Hendry & P. K. Trivedi, 1972. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Difference Equations with Moving Average Errors: A Simulation Study," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(2), pages 117-145.
- James G. MacKinnon & Halbert White, 1983.
"Some Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators with Improved Finite Sample Properties,"
537, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert, 1985. "Some heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimators with improved finite sample properties," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 305-325, September.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Hendry, David F., 1984. "Monte carlo experimentation in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 937-976 Elsevier.
- Tauchen, George, 1985. "Diagnostic testing and evaluation of maximum likelihood models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 415-443.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:wpaper:781. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.