On simultaneously identifying outliers and heteroscedasticity without specific form
Assuming homogeneous variance in a normal regression model is not always appropriate as invalid standard inference procedures may result from the improper estimation of the standard error when the disturbance process in a regression model presents heteroscedasticity. When both outliers and heteroscedasticity exist, the inflation of the scale’s estimate can deteriorate. Using graphical analysis, this study identifies outliers under heteroscedastic error without specifying a functional form. A jigsaw plot with two kinds of cut-off points differentiates both outlying and heteroscedastic characteristics for each observation in the data. The proposed approach is based on the concept of the weighted least absolute deviation estimator. Furthermore, plugging the resulting residuals into the estimation of the heteroscedasticity-consistent covariance matrix leads to a robust quasi-t test for the estimated coefficients.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chesher, Andrew & Jewitt, Ian, 1987. "The Bias of a Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1217-22, September.
- Achim Zeileis, . "Econometric Computing with HC and HAC Covariance Matrix Estimators," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(i10).
- Croux, Christophe & Haesbroeck, Gentiane, 1999. "Influence Function and Efficiency of the Minimum Covariance Determinant Scatter Matrix Estimator," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 161-190, November.
- Giloni, Avi & Simonoff, Jeffrey S. & Sengupta, Bhaskar, 2006. "Robust weighted LAD regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(11), pages 3124-3140, July.
- Cheng, Tsung-Chi, 2011. "Robust diagnostics for the heteroscedastic regression model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 1845-1866, April.
- Gilley, Otis W. & Pace, R. Kelley, 1996. "On the Harrison and Rubinfeld Data," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 403-405, November.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert, 1985.
"Some heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimators with improved finite sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 305-325, September.
- James G. MacKinnon & Halbert White, 1983. "Some Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators with Improved Finite Sample Properties," Working Papers 537, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Harvey, A C, 1976. "Estimating Regression Models with Multiplicative Heteroscedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 461-65, May.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Harrison, David Jr. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1978. "Hedonic housing prices and the demand for clean air," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Cribari-Neto, Francisco, 2004. "Asymptotic inference under heteroskedasticity of unknown form," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 215-233, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:7:p:2258-2272. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.