Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics
This paper discusses ways to reduce the bias of consistent estimators that are biased in finite samples. It is necessary that the bias function, which relates parameter values to bias, should be estimable by computer simulation or by some other method. If so, bias can be reduced or, in some cases that may not be unrealistic, even eliminated. In general, several evaluations of the bias function will be required to do this. Unfortunately, reducing bias may increase the variance, or even the mean squared error, of an estimator. Whether or not it does so depends on the shape of the bias functions. The techniques of the paper are illustrated by applying them to two problems: estimating the autoregressive parameter in an AR(1) model with a constant term, and estimation of a logit model.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:etheor:v:10:y:1994:i:1:p:116-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:etheor:v:9:y:1993:i:1:p:62-80 is not listed on IDEAS
- Smith, Anthony A, Jr & Sowell, Fallaw & Zin, Stanley E, 1997.
"Fractional Integration with Drift: Estimation in Small Samples,"
Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 103-116.
- Tony Smith & Fallaw Sowell & Stanley Zin, "undated". "Fractional integration with Drift: Estimation in Small Samples," GSIA Working Papers 22, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- MacKinnon, James G. & Smith Jr., Anthony A., 1998. "Approximate bias correction in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 205-230, August.
- Smith, A A, Jr, 1993. "Estimating Nonlinear Time-Series Models Using Simulated Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages 63-84, Suppl. De.
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993. "Indirect Inference," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages 85-118, Suppl. De.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A. & Renault, E., 1992. "Indirect Inference," Papers 92.279, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Chesher, Andrew & Peters, Simon, 1994. "Symmetry, Regression Design, and Sampling Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 116-129, March.
- Russell Davidson & James G. Mackinnon, 1990. "Regression-Based Methods for Using Control and Antithetic Variates in Monte Carlo Experiments," Working Papers 781, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Chesher, Andrew, 1995. "A Mirror Image Invariance for M-Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 207-211, January.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1994. "Bias assessment and reduction in linear error-correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 215-243, July.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D.A., 1993. "Alternative Bias Approximations in Regressions with a Lagged-Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 62-80, January.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1992. "Regression-based methods for using control variates in Monte Carlo experiments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 203-222.
- Sawa, Takamitsu, 1978. "The exact moments of the least squares estimator for the autoregressive model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 159-172, October.
- Orcutt, Guy H & Winokur, Herbert S, Jr, 1969. "First Order Autoregression: Inference, Estimation, and Prediction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Phillips, Peter C. B., 1988. "The ET Interview: Professor James Durbin," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(01), pages 125-157, April.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Exactly Median-Unbiased Estimation of First Order Autoregressive/Unit Root Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 139-165, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:wpaper:919. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.