Higher-order asymptotic expansions of the least-squares estimation bias in first-order dynamic regression models
An approximation to order T−2 is obtained for the bias of the full vector of least-squares estimates obtained from a sample of size T in general stable but not necessarily stationary ARX(1) models with normal disturbances. This yields generalizations, allowing for various forms of initial conditions, of Kendall’s and White’s classic results for stationary AR(1) models. The accuracy of various alternative approximations is examined and compared by simulation for particular parameterizations of AR(1) and ARX(1) models. The results show that often the second-order approximation is considerably better than its first-order counterpart and hence opens up perspectives for improved bias correction. However, order T−2 approximations are also found to be more vulnerable in the near unit root case than the much simpler order T−1 approximations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vinod, H.D. & Shenton, L.R., 1996. "Exact Moments for Autor1egressive and Random walk Models for a Zero or Stationary Initial Value," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 481-499, August.
- Jan F. Kiviet & Garry D.A. Phillips, 1998. "Degrees of freedom adjustment for disturbance variance estimators in dynamic regression models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 1(RegularPa), pages 44-70.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990.
"Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: a re-examination,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
139, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1992. "Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: A Re-examination," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 661-80, August.
- Ullah, Aman, 2004. "Finite Sample Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 1, number 9780198774488, July.
- Evans, G B A & Savin, N E, 1984. "Testing for Unit Roots: 2," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1241-69, September.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1994. "Bias assessment and reduction in linear error-correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 215-243, July.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1997.
"Exact tests in single equation autoregressive distributed lag models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 325-353, October.
- Dufour, J.M. & Kiviet, J.F., 1995. "Exact Tests in Single Equation Autoregressive Distributed Lag Models," Cahiers de recherche 9549, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dufour, J.M. & Kiviet, J.F., 1995. "Exact Tests in Single Equation Autoregressive Distributed Lag Models," Cahiers de recherche 9549, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Emma M. Iglesias & Garry D. A. Phillips, 2008. "Finite Sample Theory of QMLE in ARCH Models with Dynamics in the Mean Equation," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 719-737, 07.
- James G. MacKinnon & Anthony A. Smith Jr., 1995.
"Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics,"
919, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Smith, A.A., 1996. "Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- James G. MacKinnon & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics," GSIA Working Papers 1997-36, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Tsui, Albert K. & Ali, Mukhtar M., 1994. "Exact distributions, density functions and moments of the last squares estimator in a first-order autoregressive model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 433-454, May.
- Bao, Yong & Ullah, Aman, 2007. "The second-order bias and mean squared error of estimators in time-series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 650-669, October.
- Kadane, Joseph B, 1971. "Comparison of k-Class Estimators when the Disturbances are Small," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 723-37, September.
- Sawa, Takamitsu, 1978. "The exact moments of the least squares estimator for the autoregressive model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 159-172, October.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1983. "Asymptotic Expansions Associated with the AR(1) Model with Unknown Mean," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1221-31, July.
- Tanizaki, Hisashi, 2000. "Bias correction of OLSE in the regression model with lagged dependent variables," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 495-511, October.
- Hadri, K. & Phillips, G.D.A., 1999.
"The Accuracy of the Higher Order Bias Approximation for the 2SLS Estimator,"
9906, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Hadri, Kaddour & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1999. "The accuracy of the higher order bias approximation for the 2SLS estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 167-174, February.
- Evans, G B A & Savin, N E, 1981. "Testing for Unit Roots: 1," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 753-79, May.
- Orcutt, Guy H & Winokur, Herbert S, Jr, 1969. "First Order Autoregression: Inference, Estimation, and Prediction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Grubb, David & Symons, James, 1987. "Bias in Regressions With a Lagged Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 371-386, June.
- Nankervis, J. C. & Savin, N. E., 1988. "The exact moments of the least-squares estimator for the autoregressive model corrections and extensions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 381-388, March.
- Jan F. Kiviet & Garry D. A. Phillips, 2005. "Moment approximation for least-squares estimators in dynamic regression models with a unit root *," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 115-142, 07.
- Maekawa, Koichi, 1983. "An Approximation to the Distribution of the Least Squares Estimator in an Autoregressive Model with Exogenous Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 229-38, January.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D.A., 1993. "Alternative Bias Approximations in Regressions with a Lagged-Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 62-80, January.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A. & Schipp, Bernhard, 1995. "The bias of OLS, GLS, and ZEF estimators in dynamic seemingly unrelated regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 241-266, September.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1985. "Testing Linear and Loglinear Regressions against Box-Cox Alternatives," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 499-517, August.
- Bao, Yong, 2007. "The Approximate Moments Of The Least Squares Estimator For The Stationary Autoregressive Model Under A General Error Distribution," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(05), pages 1013-1021, October.
- Broda, Simon & Paolella, Marc S. & Carstensen, Kai, 2007.
"Bias-adjusted estimation in the ARX(1) model,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19992, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Magnus, J.R., 1978. "The moments of products of quadratic forms in normal variables," Other publications TiSEM 17c77a44-1789-4cf4-a382-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:11:p:3705-3729. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.