Improved Coefficient and Variance Estimation in Stable First-Order Dynamic Regression Models
In dynamic regression models the least-squares coefficient estimators are biased in finite samples, and so are the usual estimators for the disturbance variance and for the variance of the coefficient estimators. By deriving the expectation of the initial terms in an expansion of the usual expression for the asymptotic coefficient variance estimator and by comparing these with an approximation to the true variance we find an approximation to the bias in variance estimation from which a bias corrected estimator for the variance readily follows. This is also achieved for a bias corrected coefficient estimator and allows to compare analytically the second-order approximation to the mean squared error of the least-squares estimator and its counterpart for the first-order bias corrected coefficient estimator. Two rather strong results on efficiency gains through bias correction for AR(1) models follow. Illustrative simulation results on the magnitude of bias in coefficient and variance estimation and on the scope for effective bias correction and efficiency improvement are presented for some relevant particular cases of the ARX(1) class of models.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan F. Kiviet & Garry D.A. Phillips, 1998. "Degrees of freedom adjustment for disturbance variance estimators in dynamic regression models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 1(RegularPa), pages 44-70.
- James G. MacKinnon & Anthony A. Smith Jr., 1995.
"Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics,"
919, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Smith, A.A., 1996. "Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- James G. MacKinnon & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., "undated". "Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics," GSIA Working Papers 1997-36, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1994. "Bias assessment and reduction in linear error-correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 215-243, July.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990.
"Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: a re-examination,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
139, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1992. "Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: A Re-examination," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 661-680, August.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: a re-examination," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 105, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A. & Schipp, Bernhard, 1995. "The bias of OLS, GLS, and ZEF estimators in dynamic seemingly unrelated regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 241-266, September.
- Grubb, David & Symons, James, 1987. "Bias in Regressions With a Lagged Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 371-386, June.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D.A., 2012.
"Higher-order asymptotic expansions of the least-squares estimation bias in first-order dynamic regression models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3705-3729.
- Kiviet, J.F. & Phillips, G.D.A., 1999. "Higher-Order Asymptotic Expansions of the Least-Squares Estimation Bias in First-Order Dynamic Regression Models," Discussion Papers 9903, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D.A., 1993. "Alternative Bias Approximations in Regressions with a Lagged-Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 62-80, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:wc2000:0631. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.