Are bank loans still “special” (especially during a crisis)? Empirical evidence from a European country
We investigate bank loans’ specialness with a particular focus on the recent boom and bust cycle. We perform an empirical analysis using event study methodology on a sample of 253 large loan announcements for French borrowers between January 2000 and December 2009. We find a significant and negative reaction to bank loan announcements which is mostly driven by loan provided during the crisis period. We also document significant changes in bank behavior over the boom and bust cycle, with important contractual and organizational modifications reflecting a potential “wake-up call” of banks during the crisis.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 61, Avenue de la Forêt Noire, F-67085 Strasbourg Cedex|
Phone: (33) 3 90 41 41 30
Fax: (33) 3 90 41 40 50
Web page: http://ifs.unistra.fr/large
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N. & Klapper, Leora F. & Udell, Gregory F., 2001.
"The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2127-2167, December.
- Allen N. Berger & Leora Klapper & Gregory F. Udell, 2001. "The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Klapper, Leora F. & Udell, Gregory F., 2001. "The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2656, The World Bank.
- Allen N. Berger & Leora Klapper & Gregory F. Udell, 2001. "The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses," Proceedings 709, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Huang, Weihua & Schwienbacher, Armin & Zhao, Shan, 2012. "When bank loans are bad news: Evidence from market reactions to loan announcements under the risk of expropriation," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 233-252.
- Christophe J. Godlewski & Frédéric Lobez & Jean-Christophe Statnik, 2010. "Better borrowers, fewer banks?," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-02, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Brei, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & von Peter, Goetz, 2013. "Rescue packages and bank lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 490-505.
- Michael Brei & Leonardo Gambacorta & Goetz von Peter, 2011. "Rescue packages and bank lending," BIS Working Papers 357, Bank for International Settlements.
- Michael Brei & Leonardo Gambacorta & Goetz Von Peter, 2013. "Rescue packages and bank lending," Post-Print hal-01410576, HAL.
- Christophe Godlewski & Zuzana Fungáčová & Laurent Weill, 2011. "Stock Market Reaction to Debt Financing Arrangements in Russia," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 53(4), pages 679-693, December.
- Christophe J. Godlewski & Zuzana Fungacova & Laurent Weill, 2010. "Stock market reaction to debt financing arrangements in Russia," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-10, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Godlewski, Christophe J. & Fungáčová, Zuzana & Weill, Laurent, 2010. "Stock market reaction to debt financing arrangements in Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 16/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Horen, Neeltje, 2009. "The strategic behavior of banks during a financial crisis; evidence from the syndicated loan market," MPRA Paper 14164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ralph de Haas & Neeltje van Horen, 2010. "The crisis as a wake-up call. Do banks tighten screening and monitoring during a financial crisis?," DNB Working Papers 255, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Giovanni Dell’Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2012. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 367-384, 03.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Laeven, Luc, 2008. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence From The Subprime Mortgage Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 6683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Luc Laeven & Deniz O Igan, 2008. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards; Evidence From the Subprime Mortgage Market," IMF Working Papers 08/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Dell’Ariccia, G. & Igan, D. & Laeven, L., 2009. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards : Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Discussion Paper 2009-46 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Atif Mian & Amir Sufi, 2009. "The Consequences of Mortgage Credit Expansion: Evidence from the U.S. Mortgage Default Crisis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 124(4), pages 1449-1496.
- repec:cup:jfinqa:v:46:y:2011:i:06:p:1795-1830_00 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zuzana Fungáčová & Christophe J. Godlewski & Laurent Weill, 2011. "Asymmetric Information and Loan Spreads in Russia," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(1), pages 13-29, January.
- Zuzana FungÃ¡ÄovÃ¡ & Christophe J. Godlewski & Laurent Weill, 2011. "Asymmetric Information and Loan Spreads in Russia," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 49(1), pages 13-29, January.
- Bosch, Oliver & Steffen, Sascha, 2011. "On syndicate composition, corporate structure and the certification effect of credit ratings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 290-299, February.
- Stephen A. Ross, 1977. "The Determination of Financial Structure: The Incentive-Signalling Approach," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(1), pages 23-40, Spring.
- Benjamin J. Keys & Tanmoy Mukherjee & Amit Seru & Vikrant Vig, 2010. "Did Securitization Lead to Lax Screening? Evidence from Subprime Loans," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 125(1), pages 307-362.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- Christophe Godlewski, 2009. "L’organisation des syndicats bancaires en France:taille, concentration et réputation," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 12(3), pages 37-63, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lar:wpaper:2012-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe J. Godlewski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.