Are bank loans still “special” (especially during a crisis)? Empirical evidence from a European country
We investigate bank loans’ specialness with a particular focus on the recent boom and bust cycle. We perform an empirical analysis using event study methodology on a sample of 253 large loan announcements for French borrowers between January 2000 and December 2009. We find a significant and negative reaction to bank loan announcements which is mostly driven by loan provided during the crisis period. We also document significant changes in bank behavior over the boom and bust cycle, with important contractual and organizational modifications reflecting a potential “wake-up call” of banks during the crisis.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (33) 3 90 41 41 30
Fax: (33) 3 90 41 40 50
Web page: http://ifs.unistra.fr/large
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Brei & Leonardo Gambacorta & Goetz von Peter, 2011.
"Rescue packages and bank lending,"
BIS Working Papers
357, Bank for International Settlements.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Horen, Neeltje, 2009.
"The strategic behavior of banks during a financial crisis; evidence from the syndicated loan market,"
14164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ralph de Haas & Neeltje van Horen, 2010. "The crisis as a wake-up call. Do banks tighten screening and monitoring during a financial crisis?," DNB Working Papers 255, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ralph de Haas & Neeltje van Horen, 2010. "The crisis as a wake-up call: do banks tighten screening and monitoring during a financial crisis?," Working Papers 117, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Luc Laeven & Deniz Igan, 2008.
"Credit Booms and Lending Standards; Evidence From the Subprime Mortgage Market,"
IMF Working Papers
08/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Giovanni Dell’Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2012. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 367-384, 03.
- Dell’Ariccia, G. & Igan, D. & Laeven, L., 2009. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards : Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Discussion Paper 2009-46 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Laeven, Luc, 2008. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence From The Subprime Mortgage Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 6683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Allen N. Berger & Leora F. Klapper & Gegory F. Udell, 2001.
"The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses,"
709, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Berger, Allen N. & Klapper, Leora F. & Udell, Gregory F., 2001. "The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2127-2167, December.
- Berger, Allen N. & Klapper, Leora F. & Udell, Gregory F., 2001. "The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2656, The World Bank.
- Allen N. Berger & Leora F. Klapper & Gregory F. Udell, 2001. "The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christophe J. Godlewski & Frédéric Lobez & Jean-Christophe Statnik, 2010. "Better borrowers, fewer banks?," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-02, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- repec:cup:jfinqa:v:46:y:2011:i:06:p:1795-1830_00 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Godlewski, Christophe J. & Fungacova, Zuzana & Weill, Laurent, 2010.
"Stock market reaction to debt financing arrangements in Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
16/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Christophe Godlewski & Zuzana Fung�čov� & Laurent Weill, 2011. "Stock Market Reaction to Debt Financing Arrangements in Russia," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(4), pages 679-693, December.
- Christophe J. Godlewski & Zuzana Fungacova & Laurent Weill, 2010. "Stock market reaction to debt financing arrangements in Russia," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-10, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Stephen A. Ross, 1977. "The Determination of Financial Structure: The Incentive-Signalling Approach," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(1), pages 23-40, Spring.
- Bosch, Oliver & Steffen, Sascha, 2011. "On syndicate composition, corporate structure and the certification effect of credit ratings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 290-299, February.
- Zuzana FungÃ¡ÄovÃ¡ & Christophe J. Godlewski & Laurent Weill, 2011. "Asymmetric Information and Loan Spreads in Russia," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 49(1), pages 13-29, January.
- Christophe Godlewski, 2009. "L’organisation des syndicats bancaires en France:taille, concentration et réputation," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 12(3), pages 37-63, September.
- Huang, Weihua & Schwienbacher, Armin & Zhao, Shan, 2012. "When bank loans are bad news: Evidence from market reactions to loan announcements under the risk of expropriation," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 233-252.
- Benjamin J. Keys & Tanmoy Mukherjee & Amit Seru & Vikrant Vig, 2010. "Did Securitization Lead to Lax Screening? Evidence from Subprime Loans," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 125(1), pages 307-362, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lar:wpaper:2012-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe J. Godlewski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.