Making the Case for a Low Intertemporal Elasticity of Substitution
We provide two ways to reconcile small values of the intertemporal elasticity of substitution (IES) that range between 0.35 and 0.5 with empirical evidence that the IES is large. This is done using a model in which all agents have identical preferences and the same access to asset markets. We also conduct an encompassing test. That test indicates that specifications of the model with small values of the IES are more plausible than specifications with a large IES.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501|
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Geanakoplos & Ana Fostel, 2008. "Leverage Cycles and the Anxious Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1211-44, September.
- Christiansen, Charlotte & Joensen, Juanna Schrøter & Nielsen, Helena Skyt, 2006.
"The Risk-Return Trade-Off in Human Capital Investment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1962, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christiansen, Charlotte & Joensen, Juanna Schroter & Nielsen, Helena Skyt, 2007. "The risk-return trade-off in human capital investment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 971-986, December.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Juanna Schröter Joensen, 2006. "The Risk-Return Trade-Off in Human Capital Investment," Economics Working Papers 2006-02, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Anne Epaulard & Aude Pommeret, 2003. "Recursive Utility, Endogenous Growth, and the Welfare Cost of Volatility," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(3), pages 672-684, July.
- Bi, Huixin, 2012.
"Sovereign default risk premia, fiscal limits, and fiscal policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 389-410.
- Huixin Bi, 2010. "Sovereign Default Risk Premia, Fiscal Limits and Fiscal Policy," Caepr Working Papers 2010-007, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Huixin Bi, 2011. "Sovereign Default Risk Premia, Fiscal Limits and Fiscal Policy," Staff Working Papers 11-10, Bank of Canada.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1998.
"Risk Premia and Term Premia in General Equilibrium,"
NBER Working Papers
6683, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1999. "Risk premia and term premia in general equilibrium," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 3-33, February.
- Guvenen, Fatih, 2006.
"Reconciling conflicting evidence on the elasticity of intertemporal substitution: A macroeconomic perspective,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1451-1472, October.
- M. Fatih Guvenen, 2002. "Reconciling Conflicting Evidence on the Elasticity of Intertemporal Substitution: A Macroeconomic Perspective," RCER Working Papers 491, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER), revised Mar 2003.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2005. "Reconciling Conflicting Evidence on the Elasticity of Intertemporal Substitution: A Macroeconomic Perspective," Macroeconomics 0507005, EconWPA.
- Tom Krebs, 2003. "Growth and Welfare Effects of Business Cycles in Economies with Idiosyncratic Human Capital Risk," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(4), pages 846-868, October.
- Davig, Troy & Leeper, Eric M. & Walker, Todd B., 2011.
"Inflation and the fiscal limit,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 31-47, January.
- Leeper, Eric M., 1991. "Equilibria under 'active' and 'passive' monetary and fiscal policies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 129-147, February.
- Marco Bassetto, 2002.
"A Game-Theoretic View of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2167-2195, November.
- Marco Bassetto, 2001. "A game-theoretic view of the fiscal theory of the price level," Working Papers 612, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marco Bassetto, 2000. "A Game-Theoretic View of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1492, Econometric Society.
- Sebastián Nieto Parra, 2008.
"Who Saw Sovereign Debt Crises Coming?,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
274, OECD Publishing.
- Sebastián Nieto-Parra, 2009. "Who Saw Sovereign Debt Crises Coming?," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Fall 2009), pages 125-169, August.
- Aude Pommeret & Anne Epaulard, 2001. "Recursive Utility, Endogenous Growth, and the Welfare Cost of Volatility," IMF Working Papers 01/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco Bassetto & R. Andrew Butters, 2010. "What is the relationship between large deficits and inflation in industrialized countries?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q III, pages 83-100.
- Francisco Gomes & Alexander Michaelides, 2008.
"Asset Pricing with Limited Risk Sharing and Heterogeneous Agents,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(1), pages 415-448, January.
- Gomes, Francisco J & Michaelides, Alexander, 2007. "Asset Pricing with Limited Risk Sharing and Heterogeneous Agents," CEPR Discussion Papers 6136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Selahattin Imrohoroglu & Nao Sudo, 2011.
"Productivity and Fiscal Policy in Japan: Short-Term Forecasts from the Standard Growth Model,"
Monetary and Economic Studies,
Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 29, pages 73-106, November.
- Selahattin Imrohoroglu & Nao Sudo, 2010. "Productivity and Fiscal Policy in Japan: Short Term Forecasts from the Standard Growth Model," IMES Discussion Paper Series 10-E-23, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Philippe Weil, 1990. "Nonexpected Utility in Macroeconomics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(1), pages 29-42.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:788. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.