The Polish Wage Curve: Micro Panel Data Analysis Based on the Polish Labor Force Survey
This paper analyzes the Polish wage curve using individual data from the Polish Labor Force Survey (LFS) at the 16 NUTS2 regions over the period 1999 - 2010. This survey does not gather information on wages of self-employed or paid family workers. After excluding the unemployed, inactive and missing observations, we are left with over 102,924 observations. We find evidence in favor of the Polish wage curve with an unemployment elasticity of -0.06. We also find that males in Poland are significantly more responsive to local unemployment rates (-0.08) than their female counterparts (-0.04). Moreover, if the lagged unemployment rate is used as an instrument for current unemployment rate, we find that the unemployment elasticity increases substantially for less experienced and temporary workers.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Publication status:||published in: Regional Science and Urban Economics, 2014,49, 36-47.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchflower, David G., 2001. "Unemployment, Well-Being, and Wage Curves in Eastern and Central Europe," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 364-402, December.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1989.
"The Wage Curve,"
NBER Working Papers
3181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004.
"How Flexible Are Wages In EU Accession Countries?,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
128, Royal Economic Society.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004. "How Flexible are Wages in EU Accession Countries?," ERSA conference papers ersa04p191, European Regional Science Association.
- Iara, Anna & Traistaru, Iulia, 2003. "How flexible are wages in EU accession countries?," ZEI Working Papers B 25-2003, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Patrick Walsh & Fiona Duffy, 2002.
"Individual Pay and Outside Options: Evidence from the Polish Labour Force Survey,"
CERT Discussion Papers
0201, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Fiona Duffy & Patrick Paul Walsh, 2000. "Individual Pay and Outside Options: Evidence from the Polish Labour Force Survey," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 364, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Duffy, Fiona & Walsh, Patrick Paul, 2001. "Individual Pay and Outside Options: Evidence from the Polish Labour Force Survey," IZA Discussion Papers 295, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Blanchflower & A Oswald, 1993.
"International Wage Curve,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0116, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Fiona Duffy & Patrick Paul Walsh, 2000. "A Regional Analysis of Wage Determination in Poland," LICOS Discussion Papers 8700, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995. "An Introduction to the Wage Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 153-167, Summer.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7812. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.