A Regional Analysis of Wage Determination in Poland
A simple model of wage setting and restructuring predicts that the average wage level in a regional labour market in Poland, among other factors, will be negatively related to the unemployment rate and positively related to the degree of regional restructuring. As in Blanchflower and Oswald (1994), the estimated unemployment elasticity of pay across regions is approximately - 0.1. Workers in low unemployment regions earn more pay indicating the presence of profit sharing. Workers in more restructured regions are shown to receive higher premiums in pay indicating compensation for exposure to risk during restructuring.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven|
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick P. Walsh & Alexander Repkine, 1998.
"European Trade and Foreign Direct Investment U-Shaping Industrial Output in Central and Eastern Europe; Theory and Evidence,"
IMF Working Papers
98/150, International Monetary Fund.
- Alexandre Rekine & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1998. "European Trade and Foreign Direct Investment. U-Shaping Industrial Output in Central and Eastern Europe: Theory and Evidence," LICOS Discussion Papers 7398, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, April.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Konings, Jozef & Walsh, Patrick P, 1994. "Evidence of Efficiency Wage Payments in UK Firm Level Panel Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 542-555, May.
- J Konings & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1993. "Evidence of Efficiency Wage Payments in UK Firm Level Panel Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0138, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Phelps, Edmund S, 1990. " Effects of Productivity, Total Domestic-Product Demand and "Incentive Wages" on Unemployment in a Non-monetary Customer-Market Model of the Small Open Economy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 353-367.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1999. "Gradual restructuring and Structural Unemployment in Poland. A Legacy of Central Planning," LICOS Discussion Papers 7899, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995. "An Introduction to the Wage Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 153-167, Summer. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)