Post-Socialist Transition and the Intergenerational Transmission of Education in Kyrgyzstan
We investigate long-term trends in the intergenerational transmission of education in a low income country undergoing a transition from socialism to a market economy. We draw on evidence from Kyrgyzstan using data from three household surveys collected in 1993, 1998 and 2011. We find that Kyrgyzstan, like Eastern European middle income transition economies, generally maintained high educational mobility, comparable to the levels during Soviet times. However, we find that the younger cohorts, who were exposed to the transition during their school years, experienced a rapid decline in educational mobility. We also document that gender differences in schooling and educational mobility, found among older-aged individuals, disappeared in the younger population.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tom Hertz & Tamara Jayasundera & Patrizio Piraino & Sibel Selcuk & Nicole Smith & Alina Verashchagina, 2007.
"The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trends,"
2007-013, American University, Department of Economics.
- Hertz Tom & Jayasundera Tamara & Piraino Patrizio & Selcuk Sibel & Smith Nicole & Verashchagina Alina, 2008. "The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trends," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-48, January.
- Fan, Chengze Simon & Overland, Jody & Spagat, Michael, 1999. "Human Capital, Growth, and Inequality in Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 618-643, December.
- Brück, Tilman & Danzer, Alexander M. & Muravyev, Alexander & Weisshaar, Natalia, 2010.
"Poverty during transition: Household survey evidence from Ukraine,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 123-145, June.
- Brück, Tilman & Danzer, Alexander M. & Muravyev, Alexander & Weisshaar, Natalia, 2010. "Poverty during transition: Household survey evidence from Ukraine," Munich Reprints in Economics 19991, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Dan Andrews & Andrew Leigh, 2008.
"More Inequality, Less Social Mobility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
566, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Mihails Hazans & Ija Trapeznikova & Olga Rastrigina, 2008. "Ethnic and parental effects on schooling outcomes before and during the transition: evidence from the Baltic countries," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 719-749, July.
- Brück, Tilman & Esenaliev, Damir & Kroeger, Antje & Kudebayeva, Alma & Mirkasimov, Bakhrom & Steiner, Susan, 2014.
"Household survey data for research on well-being and behavior in Central Asia,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 819-835.
- Tilman BrÃ¼ck & Damir Esenaliev & Antje Kroeger & Alma Kudebayeva & Bakhrom Mirkasimov & Susan Steiner, 2012. "Household Survey Data for Research on Well-Being and Behavior in Central Asia," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1257, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Brück, Tilman & Esenaliev, Damir & Kroeger, Antje & Kudebayeva, Alma & Mirkasimov, Bakhrom & Steiner, Susan, 2012. "Household Survey Data for Research on Well-Being and Behavior in Central Asia," IZA Discussion Papers 7055, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jo Blanden, 2013. "Cross-Country Rankings In Intergenerational Mobility: A Comparison Of Approaches From Economics And Sociology," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(1), pages 38-73, 02.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521433297 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rafis Abazov, 1999. "Economic Migration in Post-Soviet Central Asia: The Case of Kyrgyzstan," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 237-252.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521438827 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hertz, Tom & Meurs, Mieke & Selcuk, Sibel, 2009. "The Decline in Intergenerational Mobility in Post-Socialism: Evidence from the Bulgarian Case," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 739-752, March.
- Michael Spagat, 2001.
"Human Capital and the Future of Transition Economies,"
Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics
01/3, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Dec 2001.
- Spagat, Michael, 2006. "Human capital and the future of transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 44-56, March.
- Spagat, Michael, 2002. "Human Capital and the Future of Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3517, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mitra, Pradeep & Yemtsov, Ruslan, 2006. "Increasing inequality in transition economies : is there more to come?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4007, The World Bank.
- Alina Veraschagina, 2012.
"Education and Socioeconomic Mobility in Post-Communist Countries,"
AIEL Series in Labour Economics,
in: Giuliana Parodi & Dario Sciulli (ed.), Social Exclusion. Short and Long Term Causes and Consequences, edition 1, chapter 4, pages 67-91
AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Alina Verashchagina, 2009. "Education and socioeconomic mobility in post-communist countries," BEROC Working Paper Series 04, Belarusian Economic Research and Outreach Center (BEROC).
- Branko Milanovic, 1999. "Explaining the increase in inequality during transition," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(2), pages 299-341, July.
- Roman Mogilevsky, 2011. "Public Expenditures on Education and Health in the Kyrgyz Republic before and during the Global Crisis," CASE Network Reports 0097, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.