Vocational High School or Vocational College? Comparing the Transitions from School to Work
Using a specific micro-dataset with information on working histories, we analyse the labour market entry of Spanish youths who have completed vocational education. According to the education system, young people can enter the labour market with vocational high school (upper secondary education) or with vocational college (tertiary education). Both present a period of workplace training, although, as they belong two distinct schooling levels, they have different entry requirements. Those who complete vocational college has spent more years in education and we would expect more success in finding a first job. Surprisingly, results do not confirm this hypothesis. We do not find important differences in the estimates of the determinants of transitions across types of vocational education. Apprenticeship has a very important role on increasing the hazard rate to employment and this result holds after controlling for unobserved heterogeneity and previous labour experience.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blázquez, Maite & García, José Ignacio, 2007.
"School To Work Transitions And The Impact Of Public Expenditure On Education,"
Working Papers in Economic Theory
2007/08, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Maite Blázquez & José Ignacio García Pérez, 2007. "School to Work Transitions and the Impact of Public Expenditure on Education," Working Papers 2007-13, FEDEA.
- Maite Blázquez Cuesta & J. Ignacio García Pérez, 2007. "School to work transitions and the impact of public expenditure on education," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2007/10, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Bertschy, Kathrin & Cattaneo, Maria Alejandra & Wolter, Stefan C., 2008.
"What Happened to the PISA 2000 Participants Five Years Later?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3323, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kathrin Bertschy & Alejandra Cattaneo & Stefan C. Wolter, 2008. "What happened to the PISA 2000 participants five years later?," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0013, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.