A Model of NGO Regulation with an Application to Uganda
We develop a model of regulation of service-delivery NGOs, where future grants are conditional on prior spending of some minimal proportion of current revenue on direct project-related expenses. Such regulation induces some NGOs to increase current project spending, but imposes wasteful costs of compliance verification on all NGOs. Under a large class of parametric configurations, we find that regulation increases total discounted project expenditure over a regime of no regulation, when verification costs constitute no more than 15% of initial revenue. We characterize the optimal regulatory policy under these configurations. We apply our analysis to a large sample of NGOs from Uganda, and find regulation to be beneficial in that context.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||forthcoming in: Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guriev, Sergei, 2003.
"Red Tape and Corruption,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3972, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aldashev, Gani & Verdier, Thierry, 2010. "Goodwill bazaar: NGO competition and giving to development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Robinson, Mark & Riddell, Roger C., 1995. "Non-Governmental Organizations and Rural Poverty Alleviation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198233305, March.
- Barr, Abigail & Fafchamps, Marcel & Owens, Trudy, 2005. "The governance of non-governmental organizations in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 657-679, April.
- Spiros Bougheas & Indraneel Dasgupta & Oliver Morrissey, 2011.
"Repayment versus Investment Conditions and Exclusivity in Lending Contracts,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 167(2), pages 247-265, June.
- Bougheas, Spiros & Dasgupta, Indraneel & Morrissey, Oliver, 2009. "Repayment versus Investment Conditions and Exclusivity in Lending Contracts," IZA Discussion Papers 4604, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rachel M. McCleary & Robert J. Barro, 2006. "U.S.-Based Private Voluntary Organizations: Religious and Secular PVOs Engaged in International Relief & Development," NBER Working Papers 12238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mookherjee, Dilip & Png, I P L, 1995. "Corruptible Law Enforcers: How Should They Be Compensated?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(428), pages 145-59, January.
- Spiros Bougheas & Indraneel Dasgupta & Oliver Morrissey, 2007. "Tough love or unconditional charity?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(4), pages 561-582, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521808187 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pranab Bardhan, 1997. "Corruption and Development: A Review of Issues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1320-1346, September.
- Jeremy Thornton, 2008. "Competition, Contractibility, and the Market for Donors to Nonprofits," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 215-246, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.