Funding, Competition and the Efficiency of NGOs: An Empirical Analysis of Non-charitable Expenditure of US NGOs Engaged in Foreign Aid
We assess the determinants of the wide variation in the efficiency of foreign aid activities across US-based non-governmental organizations (NGOs). In particular, we analyze whether non-charitable expenditures for administration, management and fundraising depend on the intensity of competition among NGOs and on the degree to which they are refinanced by governments. We control for NGO heterogeneity in various dimensions as well as major characteristics of recipient countries. We find that fiercer competition is associated with more efficient foreign aid activities of NGOs, rather than leading to “excessive” fundraising. Official funding tends to increase administrative costs. Nevertheless, officially financed NGOs spend relatively more on charitable activities since they are less concerned with collecting private donations through fundraising efforts.
|Date of creation:||29 Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz der Goettinger Sieben 3; D-37073 Goettingen, GERMANY|
Phone: +49 551 39 14066
Fax: + 49 551 39 14059
Web page: http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/82144.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rachel M. McCleary & Robert J. Barro, 2006. "U.S.-Based Private Voluntary Organizations: Religious and Secular PVOs Engaged in International Relief & Development," NBER Working Papers 12238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1852, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Susann Thiel & Rainer Thiele, 2010.
"Aid Allocation by German NGOs: Does the Degree of Public Refinancing Matter?,"
KOF Working papers
10-247, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiel, Susann & Thiele, Rainer, 2010. "Aid allocation by German NGOs: does the degree of public refinancing matter?," Kiel Working Papers 1584, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Susann Thiel & Rainer Thiele, 2010. "Aid Allocation by German NGOs: Does the Degree of Public Refinancing Matter?," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 23, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Axel Dreher & Peter Nunnenkamp & Susann Thiel & Rainer Thiele, 2010. "Aid Allocation by German NGOs: Does the Degree of Public Refinancing Matter?," Kiel Working Papers 1584, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Dreher, Axel & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiel, Susann & Thiele, Rainer, 2010. "Aid allocation by German NGOs: Does the degree of public refinancing matter?," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 92, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Dirk-Jan Koch & Judith Westeneng & Ruerd Ruben, 2007. "Does Marketisation of Aid Reduce the Country-level Poverty Targeting of Private Aid Agencies?," The European Journal of Development Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 636-657.
- David C. Ribar & Mark O. Wilhelm, 2002.
"Altruistic and Joy-of-Giving Motivations in Charitable Behavior,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(2), pages 425-457, April.
- Riber, D.C. & Wilhelm, M.O., 1996. "Altruistic and Joy-of-Giving Motivations in Charitable Behavior," Papers 1-96-4, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004.
"Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 12.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- János Kornai & Eric Maskin & Gérard Roland, 2003. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1095-1136, December.
- Susan Rose-Ackerman, 1982. "Charitable Giving and â€œExcessiveâ€ Fundraising," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(2), pages 193-212.
- Suzanne McCoskey, 2005. "NGOs in the Aid Community: Do Funding Source or Economic Conditioning Matter to Decisions of Country Involvement?," Development and Comp Systems 0508004, EconWPA.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 2002. "The Governance of Not-For-Profit Firms," NBER Working Papers 8921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnab Acharya & Ana Teresa Fuzzo de Lima & Mick Moore, 2006. "Proliferation and fragmentation: Transactions costs and the value of aid," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 1-21.
- Eric Werker & Faisal Z. Ahmed, 2008. "What Do Nongovernmental Organizations Do?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 73-92, Spring.
- Jeremy Thornton, 2008. "Competition, Contractibility, and the Market for Donors to Nonprofits," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 215-246, May.
- Edwards, Michael & Hulme, David, 1996. "Too close for comfort? the impact of official aid on nongovernmental organizations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 961-973, June.
- James Andreoni & A. Abigail Payne, 2003. "Do Government Grants to Private Charities Crowd Out Giving or Fund-raising?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 792-812, June.
- Khanna, Jyoti & Sandler, Todd, 2000. "Partners in giving:: The crowding-in effects of UK government grants," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1543-1556, August.
- Payne, A. Abigail, 1998. "Does the government crowd-out private donations? New evidence from a sample of non-profit firms," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 323-345, September.
- Aldashev, Gani & Verdier, Thierry, 2010.
"Goodwill bazaar: NGO competition and giving to development,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Gani Aldashev & Thierry Verdier, 2010. "Goodwill bazaar: NGO competition and giving to development," Post-Print halshs-00754487, HAL.
- Aldashev, Gani & Verdier, Thierry, 2007. "Internationalization of NGOs and Competition on Markets for Development Donations," CEPR Discussion Papers 6511, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:gotcrc:038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dominik Noe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.