Aggregate Impacts of a Gift of Time
How would people spend additional time if confronted by permanent declines in market work? We examine the impacts of cuts in legislated standard hours that raised employers' overtime costs in Japan around 1990 and Korea in the early 2000s. Using time-diaries from before and after these shocks, we show that these shocks were effective – per-capita hours of market work declined discretely. The economy-wide drops in market work were reallocated solely to leisure and personal maintenance. In the absence of changing household technology a permanent time gift leads to no increase in time spent in household production by the average individual.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: American Economic Review, 2012, 102(3), 612-616|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenwood,J. & Seshadri,A. & Yorukoglu,M., 2002.
"Engines of liberation,"
1, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Ananth Seshadri & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 2002. "Engines of Liberation," Economie d'Avant Garde Research Reports 2, Economie d'Avant Garde.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Ananth Seshadri & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 2003. "Engines of Liberation," RCER Working Papers 503, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin & Barbara Petrongolo, 2011.
"Worktime Regulations and Spousal Labor Supply,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1096, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin & Barbara Petrongolo, 2013. "Worktime Regulations and Spousal Labor Supply," Working Papers 709, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2011. "Worktime Regulations and Spousal Labour Supply," IZA Discussion Papers 5639, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin & Barbara Petrongolo, 2014. "Worktime regulations and spousal labor supply," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 57365, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin & Barbara Petrongolo, 2014. "Worktime Regulations and Spousal Labor Supply," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00943036, HAL.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2011. "Worktime regulations and spousal labor supply," CEPR Discussion Papers 8666, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1999. "Has Work-Sharing Worked in Germany?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(1), pages 117-148.
- Jungmin Lee & Daiji Kawaguchi & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2011.
"Aggregate Impacts of a Gift of Time,"
NBER Working Papers
17649, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Harley Frazis & Jay Stewart, 2005. "Data Watch: The American Time Use Survey," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 221-232, Winter.
- Kuroda, Sachiko, 2010.
"Do Japanese Work Shorter Hours than before? Measuring trends in market work and leisure using 1976-2006 Japanese time-use survey,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 481-502, December.
- Kuroda, Sachiko, 2009. "Do Japanese Work Shorter Hours than before?: Measuring Trends in Market Work and Leisure Using 1976-2006 Japanese Time-Use Survey," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 419, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S., 2000.
"Timing, Togetherness and Time Windfalls,"
IZA Discussion Papers
173, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Huberman, Michael & Minns, Chris, 2007. "The times they are not changin': Days and hours of work in Old and New Worlds, 1870-2000," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 538-567, October.
- Mark Aguiar & Erik Hurst, 2007. "Measuring Trends in Leisure: The Allocation of Time Over Five Decades," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 122(3), pages 969-1006.
- Gimenez-Nadal, Jose Ignacio & Sevilla, Almudena, 2012.
"Trends in time allocation: A cross-country analysis,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1338-1359.
- Gimenez-Nadal, J. Ignacio & Sevilla, Almudena, 2012. "Trends in Time Allocation: A Cross-Country Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 6709, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Almudena Sevilla-Sanz & Jose Ignacio Gimenez-Nadal, 2011. "Trends in Time Allocation: A Cross-Country Analysis," Economics Series Working Papers 547, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mark A. Aguiar & Erik Hurst & Loukas Karabarbounis, 2011. "Time Use During Recessions," NBER Working Papers 17259, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- KAWAGUCHI Daiji & NAITO Hisahiro & YOKOYAMA Izumi, 2008. "Labor Market Responses to Legal Work Hour Reduction: Evidence from Japan," ESRI Discussion paper series 202, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.