Minimum Wages, Labor Market Institutions, and Female Employment and Unemployment: A Cross-Country Analysis
This paper estimates the effect of minimum wage regulation in 16 OECD countries, 1970-2008. Our treatment is motivated by Neumark and Wascher's (2004) seminal cross-country study using panel methods to estimate minimum wage effects among teenagers and young adults. Apart from the longer time interval examined here, a major departure of the present study is the focus on prime-age females, a group typically neglected in the component minimum wage literature. Another is our deployment of time-varying policy and institutional regressors. Yet another is our examination of unemployment and participation outcomes in addition to employment effects. We report strong evidence of adverse employment effects among adult females and lower participation, even if the unemployment effects are muted. Although we report some similar findings to Neumark and Wascher as to the role of labor market institutions and policies, we do not observe the same patterns in the institutional data; in particular, we can reject for our target group their finding of stronger disemployment effects in countries with the least regulated markets.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2012, 65 (4), 779-809|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernhard Boockmann, 2010.
"The Combined Employment Effects of Minimum Wages and Labor Market Regulation—a Meta-Analysis,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 61(Supplemen), pages 167-188.
- Bernhard Boockmann, 2010. "The Combined Employment Effects of Minimum Wages and Labor Market Regulation – A Meta-analysis," IAW Discussion Papers 65, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Boockmann, Bernhard, 2010. "The Combined Employment Effects of Minimum Wages and Labor Market Regulation: A Meta-Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 4983, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dennis J. Snower & David T. Coe, 1996.
"Policy Complementarities; The Case for Fundamental Labor Market Reform,"
IMF Working Papers
96/93, International Monetary Fund.
- David T. Coe & Dennis J. Snower, 1997. "Policy Complementarities: The Case for Fundamental Labor Market Reform," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 1-35, March.
- David Coe & Dennis Snower, 1996. "Policy Complementarities: The Case for Fundamental Labor Market Reform," Archive Discussion Papers 9625, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Coe, David T & Snower, Dennis J., 1997. "Policy Complementarities: The Case for Fundamental Labour Market Reform," CEPR Discussion Papers 1585, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John T. Addison & McKinley L. Blackburn & Chad D. Cotti, 2012.
"The Effect of Minimum Wages on Labour Market Outcomes: County-Level Estimates from the Restaurant-and-Bar Sector,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 50(3), pages 412-435, 09.
- John T. Addison & McKinley L. Blackburn & Chad D. Cotti, 2008. "The Effect of Minimum Wages on Labor Market Outcomes: County-Level Estimates from the Restaurant-and-Bar Sector," Working Paper Series 02-08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2008.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira, 2003.
"The Economics of Employment Protection,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 24(1), pages 85-129, January.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Zylberberg, Andre, 1999.
"Job Protection, Minimum Wage and Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
95, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre Cahuc & André Zylberberg, 1999. "Job Protection, Minimum Wage and Unemployment," Working Papers 99-38, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Zylberberg, André, 1999. "Job protection, minimum wage and employment," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9914, CEPREMAP.
- Stephen Nickell & Luca Nunziata & Wolfgang Ochel, 2005. "Unemployment in the OECD Since the 1960s. What Do We Know?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 1-27, 01.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.