Are Protective Labor Market Institutions Really at the Root of Unemployment? A Critical Perspective on the Statistical Evidence
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999.
"Labor market institutions and economic performance,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
486, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- van Ours, Jan C & Vodopivec, Milan, 2005.
"How Changes in Benefits Entitlement Affect the Duration of Unemployment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4962, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- van Ours, J.C. & Vodopivec, M., 2005. "How Changes in Benefits Entitlement Affect the Duration of Unemployment," Discussion Paper 2005-30, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages 1-33, March.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Nickell & Luca Nunziata & Wolfgang Ochel, 2005. "Unemployment in the OECD Since the 1960s. What Do We Know?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 1-27, January.
- Manning, Alan, 1998. " Comment on B. Holmlund, "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice."," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 143-145, March.
- Lalive, Rafael & Zweimuller, Josef, 2004.
"Benefit entitlement and unemployment duration: The role of policy endogeneity,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2587-2616, December.
- Rafael Lalive & Josef Zweimï¿½ller, "undated". "Benefit Entitlement and Unemployment Duration - The Role of Policy Endogeneity," IEW - Working Papers 112, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Lalive, Rafael & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Benefit Entitlement and Unemployment Duration: The Role of Policy Endogeneity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3363, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lalive, Rafael & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Benefit Entitlement and Unemployment Duration: The Role of Policy Endogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 492, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dean Baker & Andrew Glyn & David Howell & John Schmitt, 2002.
"Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence,"
SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization.
2002-17, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Andrew Glyn, 2003. "Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment: A Critical Assessment of the Cross-Country Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers 168, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Helen Russell & Philip J. O'Connell, 2001. "Getting a Job in Europe: The Transition from Unemployment to Work among Young People in Nine European Countries," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 15(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Virginia Hernanz & Franck Malherbet & Michele Pellizzari, 2004. "Take-Up of Welfare Benefits in OECD Countries: A Review of the Evidence," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 17, OECD Publishing.
- Amable, Bruno, 2003. "The Diversity of Modern Capitalism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261147.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Eloi Laurent, 2009.
"Macroeconomic and social policies in the EU 15: the last two decades,"
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Eloi Laurent, 2009. "Macroeconomic and social policies in the EU 15: the last two decades," Sciences Po publications 2009-21, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Eloi Laurent, 2009. "Macroeconomic and social policies in the EU 15 : the last two decades," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2009-20, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Sebastian Weber, 2006. "Labor Market Structures, Trade and their Effect on Unemployment: A Theoretical Analysis and Empirical Investigation," IHEID Working Papers 22-2006, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Harald Hagemann & Ralf Rukwid, 2007. "Perspectives of Workers with Low Qualifications in Germany under the Pressures of Globalization and Technical Progress," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 291/2007, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Carlin, Wendy & Soskice, David, 2007. "Reforms, Macroeconomic Policy and Economic Performance in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 6415, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Feil, 2012. "Taxation and unemployment: (systematic) evidence from panel data analysis," EcoMod2012 4472, EcoMod.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:424147 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard B. Freeman, 2007.
"Labor Market Institutions Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
13242, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Freeman, 2008. "Labor Market Institutions Around the World," CEP Discussion Papers dp0844, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Freeman, Richard B., 2008. "Labor market institutions around the world," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19647, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rafael Fernández & Enrique Palazuelos, 2009. "Labor productivity: a comparative analysis of the European Union and United States, for the period 1994-2007," Working Papers wp208, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- John Schmitt & Dean Baker, 2006. "Old Europe Goes to Work: Rising Employment Rates in the European Union," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2006-23, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Salah Ahmed & Ali Aljane, 2014. "Labor Regulation and Unemployment: The Case of Tunisia," International Journal of Economics & Business Administration (IJEBA), International Journal of Economics & Business Administration (IJEBA), vol. 0(4), pages 3-13.
- C.W.M. Naastepad & Servaas Storm, 2010. "Feasible Egalitarianism: Demand-led Growth, Labour and Technology," Chapters,in: Handbook of Alternative Theories of Economic Growth, chapter 15 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Sharkh, Miriam Abu., 2008. "Are there optimal global configurations of labour market flexibility and security? : Tackling the "flexicurity" oxymoron," ILO Working Papers 994241473402676, International Labour Organization.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2007-04-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2007-04-09 (Labour Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:epo:papers:2006-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ceprdus.html .