Labour Supply Effects of a Subsidised Old-Age Part-Time Scheme in Austria
In this paper we evaluate the impact of the old-age part-time scheme (OAPT) on the Austrian labour market which was a policy to allow flexible retirement options for the elderly with an aim to increase labour supply. According to our matching estimates employment probability increases slightly, especially in the first two years after entrance into the programme. Furthermore, the programme seems to reduce the measured unemployment risk. However, the total number of hours worked is significantly reduced by OAPT. While the policy is meant to reduce early exit from the labour force by allowing part-time work, our analysis indicates that most workers substitute part-time work for full-time work and thus the overall effect is rather negative.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung/Journal for Labour Market Research, 2011, 44 (3), 217-229|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Abadie & David Drukker & Jane Leber Herr & Guido W. Imbens, 2004. "Implementing matching estimators for average treatment effects in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 290-311, September.
- Mario Schnalzenberger & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2008.
"Layoff Tax and the Employment of the Elderly,"
NRN working papers
2008-04, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Gielen, A. C., 2007.
"Working Hours Flexibility and Older Workers' Labor Supply,"
2007-49, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Anne C. Gielen, 2009. "Working hours flexibility and older workers' labor supply," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 240-274, April.
- Gielen, Anne C., 2007. "Working Hours Flexibility and Older Workers' Labor Supply," IZA Discussion Papers 2946, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2006. "Large Sample Properties of Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 235-267, 01.
- Vegard Skirbekk, 2004. "Age and Individual Productivity: A Literature Survey," Vienna Yearbook of Population Research, Vienna Institute of Demography (VID) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna, vol. 2(1), pages 133-154.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008.
"Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & Imbens, Guido, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Scholarly Articles 3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka & Ilmakunnas, Seija, 2006. "Gradual retirement and lengthening of working life," MPRA Paper 1860, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2011.
"Bias-Corrected Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Abadie, Alberto & Imbens, Guido W., 2011. "Bias-Corrected Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-11.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2002. "Simple and Bias-Corrected Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects," NBER Technical Working Papers 0283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Decicca, 2007. "Hours Flexibility And Retirement," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 45(2), pages 251-267, 04.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 2004. "Minimum Hours Constraints, Job Requirements and Retirement," NBER Working Papers 10876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert M. Hutchens & Karen Grace-Martin, 2006. "Employer willingness to permit phased retirement: Why are some more willing than others?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 59(4), pages 525-546, July.
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2006. "Beschäftigung Älterer in Deutschland: Der unvollständige Paradigmenwechsel," IZA Discussion Papers 1985, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bonin, Holger & Kempe, Wolfram & Schneider, Hilmar, 2002.
"Kombilohn oder Workfare? Zur Wirksamkeit zweier arbeitsmarktpolitischer Strategien,"
IZA Discussion Papers
587, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Bonin & Wolfram Kempe & Hilmar Schneider, 2003. "Kombilohn oder Workfare?: Zur Wirksamkeit zweier arbeitsmarktpolitischer Strategien," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 72(1), pages 51-67.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4239. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.