Labor supply effects of a subsidized old-age part-time scheme in Austria
"In this paper we evaluate the impact of the old-age part-time scheme (OAPT) on the Austrian labor market which was a policy to allow flexible retirement options for the elderly with an aim to increase labor supply. According to our matching estimates, employment probability increases slightly; especially in the first two years after entrance into the programme. Furthermore, the programme seems to reduce the measured unemployment risk. However, the total number of hours worked is significantly reduced by OAPT. While the policy is meant to reduce early exit from the labor force by allowing part-time work, our analysis indicates that most workers substitute part-time work for full-time work and thus the overall effect is rather negative." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Volume (Year): 44 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/labor/journal/12651?detailsPage=subscription|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Abadie & David Drukker & Jane Leber Herr & Guido W. Imbens, 2004. "Implementing matching estimators for average treatment effects in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 290-311, September.
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2006. "Beschäftigung Älterer in Deutschland: Der unvollständige Paradigmenwechsel," IZA Discussion Papers 1985, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vegard Skirbekk, 2004. "Age and Individual Productivity: A Literature Survey," Vienna Yearbook of Population Research, Vienna Institute of Demography (VID) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna, vol. 2(1), pages 133-154.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 2004. "Minimum Hours Constraints, Job Requirements and Retirement," NBER Working Papers 10876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gielen, Anne C., 2007.
"Working Hours Flexibility and Older Workers' Labor Supply,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2946, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anne C. Gielen, 2009. "Working hours flexibility and older workers' labor supply," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 240-274, April.
- Gielen, A. C., 2007. "Working Hours Flexibility and Older Workers' Labor Supply," Discussion Paper 2007-49, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Holger Bonin & Wolfram Kempe & Hilmar Schneider, 2003.
"Kombilohn oder Workfare?: Zur Wirksamkeit zweier arbeitsmarktpolitischer Strategien,"
Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research,
DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 72(1), pages 51-67.
- Bonin, Holger & Kempe, Wolfram & Schneider, Hilmar, 2002. "Kombilohn oder Workfare? Zur Wirksamkeit zweier arbeitsmarktpolitischer Strategien," IZA Discussion Papers 587, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mario Schnalzenberger & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2008.
"Layoff Tax and the Employment of the Elderly,"
Economics working papers
2008-19, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Abadie, Alberto & Imbens, Guido W., 2011.
"Bias-Corrected Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-11.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2011. "Bias-Corrected Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2002. "Simple and Bias-Corrected Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects," NBER Technical Working Papers 0283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008.
"Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & Imbens, Guido, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Scholarly Articles 3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka & Ilmakunnas, Seija, 2006. "Gradual retirement and lengthening of working life," MPRA Paper 1860, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Charles Decicca, 2007. "Hours Flexibility And Retirement," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 45(2), pages 251-267, 04.
- Robert Hutchens & Karen Grace-Martin, 2006. "Employer Willingness to Permit Phased Retirement: Why are Some More Willing Than others?," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 59(4), pages 525-546, July.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2006. "Large Sample Properties of Matching Estimators for Average Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 235-267, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabzaf:v:2011:i:3:p:217-229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.