Occupational Attainment and Immigrant Economic Progress in Australia
Using data from the 2001 Australian Census of Population and Housing, on adult men in full-time employment, this paper augments a conventional human capital earnings function with information on occupations. It also estimates models of occupational attainment. The results from both the earnings function and model of occupational attainment indicate that the limited international transferability of human capital skills results in immigrants entering into relatively low status occupations when they first enter the Australian labour market. Comparison with similar research for the US suggests that the different immigrant selection regimes (primarily family reunion in the US, skill-based immigration in Australia) do not impact on the negative association between occupational status and pre-immigration labour market experience.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Economic Record, 2008, 84, S45-S56|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2008.
"The "Negative" Assimilation of Immigrants: A Special Case,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3563, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2010. "The "Negative" Assimilation of Immigrants: A Special Case," SULCIS Working Papers 2010:9, Stockholm University Linnaeus Center for Integration Studies - SULCIS.
- Stephen Nickell, 1982. "The Determinants of Occupational Success in Britain," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 43-53.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2007.
"Earnings and Occupational Attainment: Immigrants and the Native Born,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2676, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barry R Chiswick & Paul W Miller, 2007. "Earnings and Occupational Attainment: Immigrants and the Native Born," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 07-08, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.