Selected Migration Theories and their Importance on Drawing Migration Policies
This paper is a survey of selected theoretical approaches to migration. It focuses on their practical application when creating new or adjusting existing migration policy concepts. The aim is to seek the possible leverages offering the possibility to influence migration flows not only by the receiving countries, but also by the sending countries. Secondary attention is paid to the interconnection of labour and capital, seeking the answer to the question whether FDI and migration flows are indeed supplementary processes. The paper examines a whole range of theoretical approaches, starting from the simpler ones (gravitational models), and continuing with the more elaborate approaches (neoclassical, behavioural), including the latest approaches in migration theory.
Volume (Year): 2010 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/aop/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedersen, Peder J. & Pytlikova, Mariola & Smith, Nina, 2004. "Selection or Network Effects? Migration Flows into 27 OECD Countries, 1990-2000," IZA Discussion Papers 1104, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Todaro, Michael P, 1969. "A Model for Labor Migration and Urban Unemployment in Less Developed Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 138-48, March.
- Pan-Long Tsai & Ching-Lung Tsay, 2008. "Outward foreign direct investment and inward international labor migration: substitutes or complements?," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 127-139.
- Munisamy Gopinath & Weiyan Chen, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment and wages: a cross-country analysis,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 231-231.
- Munisamy Gopinath & Weiyan Chen, 2003. "Foreign direct investment and wages: a cross-country analysis," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 285-309.
- Jacob Mincer, 1977.
"Family Migration Decisions,"
NBER Working Papers
0199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricio Aroca & William F. Maloney, 2005. "Migration, Trade, and Foreign Direct Investment in Mexico," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 19(3), pages 449-472.
- Barry R. Chiswick & Paul W. Miller, 2008.
"Occupational Attainment and Immigrant Economic Progress in Australia,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(s1), pages S45-S56, 09.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2008. "Occupational Attainment and Immigrant Economic Progress in Australia," IZA Discussion Papers 3316, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barry R. Chiswick & Paul W. Miller, 2008. "Occupational Attainment And Immigrant Economic Progress In Australia," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 08-03, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Stark, Oded & Bloom, David E, 1985. "The New Economics of Labor Migration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 173-78, May.
- Etzo, Ivan, 2008. "Internal migration: a review of the literature," MPRA Paper 8783, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oded Stark & J. Taylor, 1989. "Relative deprivation and international migration oded stark," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 26(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Roel Jennissen, 2007. "Causality Chains in the International Migration Systems Approach," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer;Southern Demographic Association (SDA), vol. 26(4), pages 411-436, August.
- Carrington, William J & Detragiache, Enrica & Vishwanath, Tara, 1996. "Migration with Endogenous Moving Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 909-30, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlaop:v:2010:y:2010:i:6:id:319:p:3-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.