Bargaining at Divorce: The Allocation of Custody
We model the bargaining process of parents over custody at the time of divorce. First we assume an institutional setting where only sole custody is available. In a second step we reform this institutional setting and introduce the possibility of joint custody. We show that some parents, who would not be able to find an agreement in a sole custody regime, can find an agreement after the joint custody reform. Accordingly, our empirical analysis shows that the introduction of joint custody enables more parents to divorce by mutual consent.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A & Wise, David A, 1978.
"A Conditional Probit Model for Qualitative Choice: Discrete Decisions Recognizing Interdependence and Heterogeneous Preferences,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(2), pages 403-26, March.
- J. A. Hausman & D. A. Wise, 1976. "A Conditional Profit Model for Qualitative Choice: Discrete Decisions Recognizing Interdependence and Heterogeneous Preferences," Working papers 173, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521747387, 1.
- Imran Rasul, 2006. "The Economics of Child Custody," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 73(289), pages 1-25, 02.
- Del Boca, Daniela & Ribero, Rocio, 1998. "Transfers in non-intact households," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-478, December.
- Francesconi, Marco & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2003.
"An Economic Model of Child Custody,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4054, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesconi, Marco & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2003. "An Economic Model of Child Custody," IZA Discussion Papers 857, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francesconi, Marco & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2003. "An economic model of child custody," ISER Working Paper Series 2003-22, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Helmut Rainer, 2005.
"Should We Write Prenuptial Contracts?,"
Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics
200514, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Martin SchÃ¼ler, 2005. "Germany," Chapters, in: Handbook of Central Banking and Financial Authorities in Europe, chapter 12 Edward Elgar.
- M. Francesconi & A. Muthoo, 2003. "An Economic Model of Child Custody," Economics Discussion Papers 560, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Fella, Giulio & Manzini, Paola & Mariotti, Marco, 2002.
"Does Divorce Law Matter?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
439, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2544. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.