Employment Effects of Payroll Taxes - An Empirical Test for Germany
This study tests to what degree the incidence of payroll taxes in Germany is on employment and whether in consequence payroll taxes, in particular social insurance contributions, are the culprit behind the growing unemployment problem. Using industry level data for 18 years (1977-1994) we estimate a system of five interdependent, dynamic factor demand equations. Various simulations indicate that the employment effects of payroll taxes are minimal
|Date of creation:||Jun 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Applied Economics, 2002, 34 (7), 865-876|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Gruber & Alan B. Krueger, 1990.
"The Incidence of Mandated Employer-Provided Insurance: Lessons from Workers' Compensation Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
3557, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Gruber & Alan B. Krueger, 1991. "The Incidence of Mandated Employer-Provided Insurance: Lessons from Workers' Compensation Insurance," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 5, pages 111-144 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Gruber & Alan Krueger, 1990. "The Incidence of Mandated Employer-Provided Insurance: Lessons from Workers' Compensations Insurance," Working Papers 659, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Kraft, Kornelius, 1997. "Hiring and Dismissal Costs in Theory and Practice: A Comparison of Institutional Constraints and Employment Adjustment Patterns in Six OECD Countries," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 341-68.
- Keane, Michael P & Prasad, Eswar S, 1996.
"The Employment and Wage Effects of Oil Price Changes: A Sectoral Analysis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 389-400, August.
- Michael P. Keane & Eswar Prasad, 1995. "The Employment and Wage Effects of Oil Price Changes: A Sectoral Analysis," IMF Working Papers 95/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Jonathan Gruber, 1995.
"The Incidence of Payroll Taxation: Evidence from Chile,"
NBER Working Papers
5053, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gruber, Jonathan, 1997. "The Incidence of Payroll Taxation: Evidence from Chile," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(3), pages S72-101, July.
- Felix Fitzroy & Michael Funke, 1993.
"Real Wages, Investment and Employment - New Evidence From West German Sectoral Data,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
9305, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Felix FitzRoy & Michael Funke, 1994. "Real wages, investment and employment: New evidence from West German sectoral data," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(2), pages 258-272, June.
- Stephen Nickell & D Nicolitsas, 1994.
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0219, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan, 1997. "Minimum wages and economic outcomes in Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 733-742, April.
- Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1992. "Minimum Wages," CEP Discussion Papers dp0080, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Juan Dolado & Francis Kramarz & Steven Machin & Alan Manning & David Margolis & Coen Teulings, 1996. "The Economic Impact of Minimum Wages in Europe," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00353896, HAL.
- Hart, Robert A. & McGregor, Peter G., 1988. "The returns to labour services in West German manufacturing industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 947-963, April.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Gerard A. Pfann, 1996.
"Adjustment Costs in Factor Demand,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1264-1292, September.
- Entorf, Horst & Konig, Heinz & Pohlmeier, Winfried, 1992. " Labor Utilization and Nonwage Labor Costs in a Disequilibrium Macro Framework," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(1), pages 71-83.
- Rossana, Robert J, 1990. "Interrelated Demands for Buffer Stocks and Productive Inputs: Estimates for Two-Digit Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 19-29, February.
- Timo Tyrväinen, 1995. "Real Wage Resistance and Unemployment: Multivariate Analysis of Cointegrating Relations in 10 OECD Countries," OECD Jobs Study Working Papers 10, OECD Publishing.
- Steiner, Viktor, 1996. "Employment and Wage Effects of Social Security Financing: An Empirical Analysis of the West German Experience and some Policy Simulations," ZEW Discussion Papers 96-14, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Rosen, Sherwin, 1969. "Interrelated Factor Demand Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 457-71, Part I Se.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1989. "Some Simple Economics of Mandated Benefits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 177-83, May.
- Konig, Heinz & Pohlmeier, Winfried, 1988. "Employment, Labour Utilization and Procyclical Labour Productivity," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 551-72.
- Gruber, Jonathan, 1994. "The Incidence of Mandated Maternity Benefits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 622-41, June.
- Schmidt, Christoph M, 1994. "Relative Wage Effects of German Unions," CEPR Discussion Papers 918, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Steiner, Viktor, 1989. "Stability and Dynamic Properties of Labour Demand in West German Manufacturing," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(4), pages 395-412, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.