Social health insurance reexamined
Social health insurance (SHI) is enjoying something of a revival in parts of the developing world. Many countries that have in the past relied largely on tax finance (and out-of-pocket payments) have introduced SHI, or are thinking about doing so. And countries with SHI already in place are making vigorous efforts to extend coverage to the informal sector. Ironically, this revival is occurring at a time when the traditional SHI countries in Europe have either already reduced payroll financing in favor of general revenues, or are in the process of doing so. This paper examines how SHI fares in health-care delivery, revenue collection, covering the formal sector, and its impacts on the labor market. It argues that SHI does not necessarily deliver good quality care at a low cost, partly because of poor regulation of SHI purchasers. It suggests that the costs of collecting revenues can be substantial, even in the formal sector where non-enrollment and evasion are commonplace, and that while SHI can cover the formal sector and the poor relatively easily, it fares badly in terms of covering the non-poor informal sector workers until the economy has reached a high level of economic development. The paper also argues that SHI can have negative labor market effects. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam Wagstaff & Mariam Claeson, 2004. "The Millennium Development Goals for Health : Rising to the Challenges," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14954.
- Pablo Gottret & George Schieber, 2006. "Health Financing Revisited : A Practitioner's Guide," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7094.
- Stephen Nickell, 2003.
"Employment and Taxes,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1109, CESifo Group Munich.
- Adam Wagstaff, 2007.
"Health systems in East Asia: what can developing countries learn from Japan and the Asian Tigers?,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 441-456.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2005. "Health systems in East Asia : what can developing countries learn from Japan and the Asian tigers ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3790, The World Bank.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Lindelow, Magnus & Gao Jun & Xu Ling & Qian Juncheng, 2007.
"Extending health insurance to the rural population : an impact evaluation of China's new cooperative medical scheme,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4150, The World Bank.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Lindelow, Magnus & Jun, Gao & Ling, Xu & Juncheng, Qian, 2009. "Extending health insurance to the rural population: An impact evaluation of China's new cooperative medical scheme," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Alejandro Gaviria & Carlos Medina & Carolina Mejía, 2006. "Evaluating The Impact Of Health Care Reform In Colombia: From Theory To Practice," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002647, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Riphahn, Regina T., 1998.
"Employment Effects of Payroll Taxes - An Empirical Test for Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
11, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas Bauer & Regina Riphahn, 2002. "Employment effects of payroll taxes - an empirical test for Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(7), pages 865-876.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003.
"Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience,"
OECD Health Working Papers
9, OECD Publishing.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003. "Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 374, OECD Publishing.
- Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice, 2003.
"The Labor Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in a Middle-Income Country: Evidence from Colombia,"
IZA Discussion Papers
852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice, 2003. "The labor market effects of payroll taxes in a middle-income country: evidence from Colombia," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0306, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Kugler, Adriana D. & Kugler, Maurice, 2003. "The Labour Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in a Middle-Income Country: Evidence from Colombia," CEPR Discussion Papers 4046, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2003. "The labor market effects of payroll taxes in a middle-income country: Evidence from Colombia," Economics Working Papers 721, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Nonneman, Walter & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1994. "The role of the sickness funds in the Belgian health care market," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1483-1495, November.
- Ravi P. Rannan-Eliya & Aparnaa Somanathan & Shiva Raj Adhikari & Eddy van Doorslaer & Owen Oâ€™ Donnell, 2011.
"Who Pays for Health Care in Asia?,"
- O'Donnell, Owen & van Doorslaer, Eddy & Rannan-Eliya, Ravi P. & Somanathan, Aparnaa & Adhikari, Shiva Raj & Akkazieva, Baktygul & Harbianto, Deni & Garg, Charu C. & Hanvoravongchai, Piya & Herrin, Ale, 2008. "Who pays for health care in Asia?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 460-475, March.
- Jairo Restrepo & Andrés Zambrano & Mauricio Velez & Manuel Ramirez, 2007. "Health insurance as a strategy for access: streamlined facts of the colombian health care reform," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 002783, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2004. "Working for God?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4214, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Scott, 2006. "Seguro Popular: Incidence Analysis," Working papers DTE 367, CIDE, División de Economía.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1992. "Equity in the finance of health care: Some international comparisons," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 361-387, December.
- Adam Wagstaff, 2010. "Estimating health insurance impacts under unobserved heterogeneity: the case of Vietnam's health care fund for the poor," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 189-208.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam & van der Burg, Hattem & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Di Biase, Rita & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Gerfin, Mike & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "The redistributive effect of health care finance in twelve OECD countries," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Lewis, Maureen & Eskeland, Gunnar & Traa-Valerezo, Ximena, 2004.
"Primary health care in practice: is it effective?,"
Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 303-325, December.
- Jowett, M. & Contoyannis, P. & Vinh, N. D., 2003. "The impact of public voluntary health insurance on private health expenditures in Vietnam," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 333-342, January.
- Cristian C. Baeza & Truman G. Packard, 2006. "Beyond Survival : Protecting Households from Health Shocks in Latin America," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7120.
- Obermann, Konrad & Jowett, Matthew R. & Alcantara, Maria Ofelia O. & Banzon, Eduardo P. & Bodart, Claude, 2006. "Social health insurance in a developing country: The case of the Philippines," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(12), pages 3177-3185, June.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & van der Burg, Hattem & Calonge, Samuel & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Gerfin, Mike & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "Equity in the finance of health care: some further international comparisons1," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 263-290, June.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1989. "Some Simple Economics of Mandated Benefits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 177-83, May.
- Twigg, Judyth L., 1999. "Obligatory medical insurance in Russia: the participants' perspective," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 371-382, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:19:y:2010:i:5:p:503-517. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.