Health insurance as a strategy for access: streamlined facts of the colombian health care reform
The Colombian reform to the health system (Law 100 of 1993) established, as strategy to facilitate the access, the universality of a health insurance that is acquired by means of the quotation in the contributive regime or by means of the gratuitous affiliation to the subsidized regime, in order to cover all the population with a unique plan of benefits that includes services in all levels of complexity. In this paper we intend to cover the main streamlined facts of the reform as far as coverage and access of the insurance, by means of logit models, the determinants of the enrollment and the access are considered, using data from the Living Standards Surveys of 1997 and 2003. It stands out that the coverage rose from 20% of the population in 1993 to 60% in 2003, although it seems very difficult to reach the universality; the structure and evolution of the coverage show that both regimes complement each other, while the contributive one has greater presence in the cities and among the population with formal employment, the subsidized one has greater weight among the rural population and in those with low levels of income; on the other hand, the insurance has advantages for the subsidized population, with a greater probability for use of the services, although the plan offers less benefits than the contributive one there are some barriers for the access.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Dror & Alexander S. Preker, 2002. "Social Reinsurance : A New Approach to Sustainable Community Health Financing," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15211, June.
- Cutler, David M. & Zeckhauser, Richard J., 2000.
"The anatomy of health insurance,"
Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 563-643
- David M. Cutler & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1999. "The Anatomy of Health Insurance," NBER Working Papers 7176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Castaño Tamayo, Ramón Abel & Giedion, Ursula & Morales Sánchez, Luis Gonzalo, 2001. "Evolución de la equidad en el sistema colombiano de salud," Financiamiento para el Desarrollo 108, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Ramón Abel Castaño & José J. Arbelaez & Ursula Giedion & Luis Gonzalo Morales, 2001. "Evolución de la equidad en el sistema colombiano de salud," DOCUMENTOS DE INVESTIGACION 002651, CEPAL NACIONES UNIDAS. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)