HRM and Small-Firm Employee Motivation: Before and after the Recession
A long-running debate in the small firms' literature questions the value of formal 'human resource management' (HRM) practices which have been linked to high performance in larger firms. We contribute to this literature by exploiting linked employer-employee surveys for 2004 and 2011. Using employees' intrinsic job satisfaction and organizational commitment as measures of motivation we find the returns to small firm investments in HRM are u-shaped. Small firms benefit from intrinsically motivating work situations in the absence of HRM practices, find this advantage disturbed when formal HRM practices are initially introduced, but can restore positive motivation when they invest intensively in HRM practices in a way that characterizes 'high performance work systems' (HWPS) and 'strategic human resource management' (SHRM). Although the HPWS effect on employee motivation is modified somewhat by the recessionary transition, it remains rather robust and continues to have positive promise for small firms.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frölich, Markus & Huber, Martin & Wiesenfarth, Manuel, 2015.
"The Finite Sample Performance of Semi- and Nonparametric Estimators for Treatment Effects and Policy Evaluation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
8756, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Frölich, Markus & Huber, Martin & Wiesenfarth, Manuel, 2015. "The finite sample performance of semi- and nonparametric estimators for treatment effects and policy evaluation," FSES Working Papers 454, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland.
- Aysit Tansel & Saziye Gazîoglu, 2014. "Management-employee relations, firm size and job satisfaction," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(8), pages 1260-1275, October.
- Aysit Tansel & Saziye Gazioglu, 2012. "Management-Employee Relations, Firm Size and Job Satisfaction," ERC Working Papers 1211, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2012.
- Aysýt Tansel & Þaziye Gazioðlu, 2013. "Management-Employee Relations, Firm Size And Job Satisfaction," Working Papers 2013/5, Turkish Economic Association.
- Aysit Tansel & Saziye Gazioglu, 2013. "Management-Employee Relations, Firm Size, and Job Satisfaction," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1307, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Tansel, Aysit & Gazioglu, Saziye, 2013. "Management-Employee Relations, Firm Size and Job Satisfaction," IZA Discussion Papers 7308, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tansel, Aysit & Gazioglu, Saziye, 2013. "Management-Employee Relations, Firm Size and Job Satisfaction," MPRA Paper 45060, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Hijzen & Richard Upward & Peter W. Wright, 2010. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and the Role of Small Firms: Firm-Level Evidence for the UK," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 72(5), pages 621-647, October.
- Alex Hijzen, & Richard Upward, & Peter Wright, "undated". "Job Creation, Job Destruction and the Role of Small Firms: Firm-Level Evidence for the UK," Discussion Papers 07/01, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Hainmueller, Jens & Xu, Yiqing, 2013. "ebalance: A Stata Package for Entropy Balancing," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 54(i07).
- Chris Moule, 1998. "Regulation of Work in Small Firms: A View from the Inside," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 12(4), pages 635-653, December.
- Ichniowski, Casey & Shaw, Kathryn & Prennushi, Giovanna, 1997. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity: A Study of Steel Finishing Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Harvie Ramsay & Dora Scholarios & Bill Harley, 2000. "Employees and High-Performance Work Systems: Testing inside the Black Box," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 501-531, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp10737. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.