The role of program quality and publicly-owned platforms in the free to air broadcasting industry
We consider the role of a publicly-owned platform and program quality in the free to air broadcasting industry. We compare the equilibrium levels of advertising under private and mixed duopoly competition, and show that the connection between program quality and advertising incentives are drastically different between both scenarios. We also consider the welfare implications of our analysis and obtain policy implications regarding the optimal government’s intervention in the broadcasting industry.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco van der Leij & Sanjeev Goyal, 2010.
"Strong ties in a small world,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2010-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana, 2009.
"Anthropometry and Socioeconomics in the Couple: Evidence from the PSID,"
- Climent Quintana Domeque & Sonia Oreffice, 2010. "Anthropometry and socioeconomics in the couple: evidence from the PSID," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Claude Crampes & Carole Haritchabalet & Bruno Jullien, 2005.
"Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Crampes, Claude & Haritchabalet, Carole & Jullien, Bruno, 2006. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," IDEI Working Papers 374, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Germa Bel & Laia Domenech, 2009. "What Influences Advertising Price in Television Channels?: An Empirical Analysis on the Spanish Market," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(3), pages 164-183.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2007.
"Competition for Viewers and Advertisers in a TV Oligopoly,"
Journal of Media Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 211-233.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2006. "Competition for Viewers and Advertisers in a TV Oligopoly," CESifo Working Paper Series 1862, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008.
"Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004. "Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air," CEPR Discussion Papers 4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2003.
"Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis,"
Virginia Economics Online Papers
358, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2005. "Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 947-972.
- José J. Sempere Monerris & Rafael Moner Colonques & Amparo Urbano Salvador, 2010. "Trade liberalization in vertically related markets," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, .
"Programming and advertising competition in the broadcasting industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1873, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004. "Programming and Advertising Competition in the Broadcasting Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 657-669, December.
- Cuberes, David & Dougan, William, 2009.
"How Endogenous Is Money? Evidence from a New Microeconomic Estimate,"
17744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Cuberes & William R. Dougan, 2010. "How Endogenous Is Money? Evidence from a New Microeconomic Estimate," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- David Cuberes & Luis Andrés & Tomás Serebrisky & Mame Astou Diouf, 2010. "The diffusion of Internet: a cross-country analysis," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- David Cuberes, 2010.
"Sequential city growth: empirical evidence,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2010-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Lari Arthur Viianto, 2010. "The effects of the tax system on education decisions and welfare," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Kumar, Ashutosh & Saha, Bibhas, 2008. "Spatial competition in a mixed duopoly with one partially nationalized firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 326-341, June.
- Kenneth C. Wilbur, 2008. "A Two-Sided, Empirical Model of Television Advertising and Viewing Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(3), pages 356-378, 05-06.
- Luis J. Hall, 2010. "Differentiated social interactions in the US schooling race gap," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2010-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.