Selling Shares To Retail Investors: Auction Vs. Fixed Price
We analyze the problem of selling shares of a divisible good to a large number of buyers when demand is uncertain. We characterize equilibria of two popular mechanisms, a fixed price mechanism and a uniform price auction, and compare the revenues. While in the auction truthful bidding is a dominant strategy, we find that bidders have an incentive to overstate their demand in the fixed price mechanism. For some parameter values this yields the surprising result that the fixed price mechanism outperforms the auction.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Villar Notario & Carmen Herrero Blanco, 2000.
"The Three Musketeers: Four Classical Solutions To Bankruptcy Problems,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2000-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Herrero, Carmen & Villar, Antonio, 2001. "The three musketeers: four classical solutions to bankruptcy problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 307-328, November.
- Jürgen Bierbaum & Veronika Grimm, 2006.
"Selling shares to retail investors: auction vs. fixed price,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 85-112, August.
- Veronika Grimm & Jürgen Bierbaum, 2004. "Selling Shares To Retail Investors: Auction Vs. Fixed Price," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Nautz, D., 1995. "Optimal bidding in multi-unit auctions with many bidders," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 301-306, June.
- Biais, Bruno & Faugeron-Crouzet, Anne-Marie, 2000.
"IPO Auctions: English, Dutch, ... French and Internet,"
IDEI Working Papers
104, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Biais, Bruno & Faugeron-Crouzet, Anne Marie, 2002. "IPO Auctions: English, Dutch, ... French, and Internet," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 9-36, January.
- Nautz, D. & Wolfstetter, E., 1997. "Bid shading and risk aversion in multi-unit auctions with many bidders," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 195-200, October.
- Back, Kerry & Zender, Jaime F, 1993. "Auctions of Divisible Goods: On the Rationale for the Treasury Experiment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(4), pages 733-64.
- Sherman, Ann E. & Titman, Sheridan, 2002.
"Building the IPO order book: underpricing and participation limits with costly information,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 3-29, July.
- Ann E. Sherman & Sheridan Titman, 2000. "Building the IPO Order Book: Underpricing and Participation Limits With Costly Information," NBER Working Papers 7786, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2004-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.