Technical and Scale Efficiencies for Chinese Rural Credit Cooperatives: A Bootstrapping Approach in Data Envelopment Analysis
Chinese rural credit cooperatives (RCCs) are a major supplier of credit to the rural sector in the country. However, Chinese RCCs are currently encountering operating problems, and an experimental reform is being carried out to restructure and reform the RCCs. In order to have some idea about the efficacy of reform, it is important to have an understanding of the institutional economics underlying the delivery of rural credit in China. This paper evaluates pure technical efficiency, overall technical efficiency, and scale efficiencies for RCCs in China using nonparametric techniques. The use of a bootstrap algorithm is proposed to perform inference for efficiency measures. Keywords: bootstrapping, Chinese rural credit cooperatives, data envelopment analysis, scale efficiency, technical efficiency.
|Date of creation:||08 Jul 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, March 2006, vol. 4, pp. 57-75|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Despotis, D.K., 2005. "Measuring human development via data envelopment analysis: the case of Asia and the Pacific," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 385-390, October.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995.
"Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph Scalise, 1995.
"The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-06, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Anil K. Kashyap & Joseph M. Scalise, 1995. "The Transformation of the U.S. Banking Industry: What a Long, Strange Trips It's Been," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 55-218.
- Härdle, W.K., 1992.
"Applied Nonparametric Methods,"
1992-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9204, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Wolfgang Hardle & Oliver Linton, 1994. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1069, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9206, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- HÄRDLE, Wolfgang, 1992. "Applied nonparametric methods," CORE Discussion Papers 1992003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1997.
"Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-8, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & DeYoung, Robert, 1997. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 849-870, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1995. "Problem Loans and Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Oliver LINTON, .
"Applied nonparametric methods,"
Statistic und Oekonometrie
9312, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Armah, Bernard Kaku Ndarku & Park, Timothy A. & Lovell, C.A. Knox, 1999.
"Evaluating The Performance Of Agricultural Bank Management: The Impact Of State Regulatory Policies,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Armah, Bernard Kaku Ndarku & Park, Timothy A. & Lovell, C.A. Knox, 1998. "Evaluating The Performance Of Agricultural Bank Management: The Impact Of State Regulatory Policies," Faculty Series 16660, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Aly, Hassan Y, et al, 1990. "Technical, Scale, and Allocative Efficiencies in U.S. Banking: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 211-18, May.
- Tser-Yieth Chen, 2001. "An estimation of X-inefficiency in Taiwan's banks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 237-242.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521453455 is not listed on IDEAS
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Moss, Charles B., 1993. "Measuring Economies of Scale and Scope in Agricultural Banking," Proceedings: 1993 Regional Committee NC-207, October 4-5, 1993, Chicago, Illinois 131339, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- P.A.V.B. Swamy & James R. Barth & Ray Y. Chou & John S. Jahera, Jr., 1995. "Determinants of U.S. commercial bank performance: regulatory and econometric issues," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-29, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Pooran Lall & Allen Featherstone & David Norman, 2000. "Productive efficiency and growth policies for the Caribbean," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(11), pages 1483-1493.
- Mickael Lothgren & Magnus Tambour, 1999. "Testing scale efficiency in DEA models: a bootstrapping approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(10), pages 1231-1237.
- Rangan, Nanda & Grabowski, Richard & Aly, Hassan Y. & Pasurka, Carl, 1988. "The technical efficiency of US banks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 169-175.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J. B., 2003. "Efficiency in Japanese banking: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 891-917, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:11992. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.