Measuring performance improvement of Taiwanese commercial banks under uncertainty
In order to enable domestic commercial banks to be more competitive globally, the Taiwanese government has twice attempted to financially restructure them, in 2001 and 2004. Different from other studies which use deterministic analyses to measure changes in performance between two periods, this paper adopts probabilistic analysis to take the uncertainty related to certain factors into account. Data from six years, from 2005 to 2010, are divided into two periods, 2005–2007 and 2008–2010, to calculate the global Malmquist productivity index (MPI) as a measure of the change in performance. By assuming beta distributions for the data, a Monte Carlo simulation is conducted to find the distribution of the MPI. The results show that, in general, the performance of the commercial banks has indeed improved. While conventional deterministic analyses may mislead top managers and make them overconfident about results that are actually uncertain, probabilistic analysis can produce more reliable information that can thus lead to better decisions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 235 (2014)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aly, Hassan Y, et al, 1990. "Technical, Scale, and Allocative Efficiencies in U.S. Banking: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 211-218, May.
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Giraleas, Dimitris & Emrouznejad, Ali & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2012. "Productivity change using growth accounting and frontier-based approaches – Evidence from a Monte Carlo analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(3), pages 673-683.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Rezitis, Anthony N., 2008. "Efficiency and productivity effects of bank mergers: Evidence from the Greek banking industry," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 236-254, March.
- Yung-Ho Chiu & Chyanlong Jan & Da-Bai Shen & Pen-Chun Wang, 2008. "Efficiency and capital adequacy in Taiwan banking: BCC and super-DEA estimation," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(4), pages 479-496, May.
- Jesús Pastor & C. Lovell, 2007. "Circularity of the Malmquist productivity index," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 33(3), pages 591-599, December.
- M C S Portela & A S Camanho & D Borges, 2012. "Performance assessment of secondary schools: the snapshot of a country taken by DEA," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 63(8), pages 1098-1115, August.
- Ruggiero, John, 1999. "Efficiency estimation and error decomposition in the stochastic frontier model: A Monte Carlo analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 555-563, June.
- Isik, Ihsan & Kabir Hassan, M., 2003. "Financial deregulation and total factor productivity change: An empirical study of Turkish commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1455-1485, August.
- Hwang, Dar-Yeh & Wu, Wei-Hsiung, 2007. "Financial system reform in Taiwan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 21-41, February.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models,"
Journal of Applied Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Papers 9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Ondrich, Jan & Ruggiero, John, 2001. "Efficiency measurement in the stochastic frontier model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 434-442, March.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W., 1984. "The non-archimedean CCR ratio for efficiency analysis: A rejoinder to Boyd and Fare," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 333-334, March.
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1999.
"Technical Progress, Inefficiency, and Productivity Change in U.S. Banking, 1984-1993,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 212-234, May.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1996. "Technical progress, inefficiency and productivity change in U.S. banking, 1984-1993," Working Papers 1994-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1996.
"Estimating and bootstrapping malmquist indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kao, Chiang, 2010. "Malmquist productivity index based on common-weights DEA: The case of Taiwan forests after reorganization," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 484-491, December.
- Pastor, Jesus T. & Lovell, C.A. Knox, 2005. "A global Malmquist productivity index," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 266-271, August.
- Lin, Tzu-Yu & Chiu, Sheng-Hsiung, 2013. "Using independent component analysis and network DEA to improve bank performance evaluation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 608-616.
- Tai-Hsin Huang, 2000. "Estimating X-Efficiency in Taiwanese Banking Using a Translog Shadow Profit Function," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 225-245, November.
- Feng, Guohua & Zhang, Xiaohui, 2012. "Productivity and efficiency at large and community banks in the US: A Bayesian true random effects stochastic distance frontier analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1883-1895.
- Chang, Hsihui & Choy, Hiu Lam & Cooper, William W. & Ruefli, Timothy W., 2009. "Using Malmquist Indexes to measure changes in the productivity and efficiency of US accounting firms before and after the Sarbanes-Oxley Act," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 951-960, October.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Hsiao, Hsing-Chin & Chang, Hsihui & Cianci, Anna M. & Huang, Li-Hua, 2010. "First Financial Restructuring and operating efficiency: Evidence from Taiwanese commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1461-1471, July.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Url, Thomas, 2010. "Single Market effects on productivity in the German insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1540-1548, July.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Robert Chambers, 2008. "Stochastic productivity measurement," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 107-120, October.
- Kao, Chiang & Liu, Shiang-Tai, 2004. "Predicting bank performance with financial forecasts: A case of Taiwan commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2353-2368, October.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995.
"Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., "undated". "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kao, Chiang & Hwang, Shiuh-Nan, 2008. "Efficiency decomposition in two-stage data envelopment analysis: An application to non-life insurance companies in Taiwan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(1), pages 418-429, February.
- Juo, Jia-Ching & Fu, Tsu-Tan & Yu, Ming-Miin, 2012. "Non-oriented slack-based decompositions of profit change with an application to Taiwanese banking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 550-561.
- Hugo Fuentes & Emili Grifell-Tatjé & Sergio Perelman, 2001. "A Parametric Distance Function Approach for Malmquist Productivity Index Estimation," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 79-94, March.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Mariani Abdul-Majid & David Saal & Giuliana Battisti, 2011. "The impact of Islamic banking on the cost efficiency and productivity change of Malaysian commercial banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(16), pages 2033-2054.
- Kao, Chiang & Liu, Shiang-Tai, 2009. "Stochastic data envelopment analysis in measuring the efficiency of Taiwan commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 312-322, July.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Casu, Barbara & Girardone, Claudia & Molyneux, Philip, 2004. "Productivity change in European banking: A comparison of parametric and non-parametric approaches," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2521-2540, October.
- Cummins, J. David & Xie, Xiaoying, 2008. "Mergers and acquisitions in the US property-liability insurance industry: Productivity and efficiency effects," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 30-55, January.
- Yi-Hsing Lin & George J. Y. Hsu & Ching-Kai Hsiao, 2007. "Measuring efficiency of domestic banks in Taiwan: application of data envelopment analysis and Malmquist index," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(11), pages 821-827.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:235:y:2014:i:3:p:755-764. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.