What determines the export performance? A comparative analysis of China and India in the European Union
This paper aims to assess the competitiveness of exports of manufactured goods from China and India to the European Union in the 2000s. The empirical analysis is based on two methodologies: (i) a Constant Market Share analysis which allows to decompose the export growth to the European market into several components including an effect usually related to competitiveness, and (ii) an analysis based on the combination of revealed comparative advantage indexes with a geographic orientation of trade which allows to identify the products of China and India that appear to have export potential.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL|
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006.
"What's So Special about China's Exports?,"
Working Paper Series
rwp06-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Przemyslaw Kowalski & Nora Dihel, 2009. "India's Trade Integration, Realising the Potential," OECD Trade Policy Papers 88, OECD Publishing.
- Catrinus Jepma, 1981. "An Application of the Constant Market Shares Technique on Trade between the Associated African and Malagasy States and the European Community (1958-1978)," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 175-192, December.
- Maurer, Andreas & Degain, Christophe, 2010. "Globalization and trade flows: What you see is not what you get!," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2010-12, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2010. "What determines the export performance? A comparative analysis at the world level," Working Papers Department of Economics 2010/27, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Milana, Carlo, 1988. "Constant-market-shares analysis and index number theory," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 453-478.
- Patrick A. Messerlin, 2002. "Niveau et cout du protectionnisme europeen," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 89-90, pages 19-38.
- Dic Lo & Thomas M. H. Chan, 1998. "Machinery and China's nexus of foreign trade and economic growth," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 733-749.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp352012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.