What determines the export performance? A comparative analysis of China and India in the European Union
This paper aims to assess the competitiveness of exports of manufactured goods from China and India to the European Union in the 2000s. The empirical analysis is based on two methodologies: (i) a Constant Market Share analysis which allows to decompose the export growth to the European market into several components including an effect usually related to competitiveness, and (ii) an analysis based on the combination of revealed comparative advantage indexes with a geographic orientation of trade which allows to identify the products of China and India that appear to have export potential.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL|
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dic Lo & Thomas M. H. Chan, 1998. "Machinery and China's nexus of foreign trade and economic growth," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 733-749.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006.
"What's So Special about China's Exports?,"
China & World Economy,
Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 14(5), pages 1-19.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006. "What's So Special about China's Exports?," NBER Working Papers 11947, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006. "What's So Special about China's Exports?," Working Paper Series rwp06-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006. "What's So Special About China's Exports?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5484, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2010. "What determines the export performance? A comparative analysis at the world level," Working Papers Department of Economics 2010/27, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Patrick A. Messerlin, 2002. "Niveau et cout du protectionnisme europeen," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 89-90, pages 19-38.
- Przemyslaw Kowalski & Nora Dihel, 2009. "India's Trade Integration, Realising the Potential," OECD Trade Policy Papers 88, OECD Publishing.
- Maurer, Andreas & Degain, Christophe, 2010. "Globalization and trade flows: What you see is not what you get!," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2010-12, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Milana, Carlo, 1988. "Constant-market-shares analysis and index number theory," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 453-478.
- Henry Thompson, 2011. "International Economics:Global Markets and Competition," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 7744.
- Henry Thompson, 2006. "International Economics:Global Markets and Competition," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 5839, July.
- Catrinus Jepma, 1981. "An Application of the Constant Market Shares Technique on Trade between the Associated African and Malagasy States and the European Community (1958-1978)," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 175-192, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp352012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.