Decomposition of trends in youth unemployment – the role of job accessions and separations in countries with different employment protection regimes
We examine the drivers of youth unemployment in Poland and Spain, countries where youth have a marginalised labour market position. We decompose the trends in unemployment rates in 1990-2011. We disentangle the role of prolonging job search and the impact of dismissals. The contribution of these two factors to the changes in unemployment rates is compared between youth and the reference group of prime-age workers. We show that in both countries, youth had actually higher chances of finding jobs than the prime-age workers during last two decades. However, the probability of job separation among youth was persistently higher. Moreover, the youth job separation risk reacted to recessions much stronger than the prime-age group risk. In Poland the disparity between the impact of job dismissals on changes in unemployment rates among young and prime-age men is relatively lower than in Spain, which could be ascribed to countries’ differential employment protection regimes.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Al. Niepodleglosci 162, 02-554 Warszawa|
Phone: + (48)(22) 49 12 51
Fax: + (48)(22) 49 53 12
Web page: http://www.sgh.waw.pl/instytuty/isd/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuestas, Juan C. & Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Staehr, Karsten, 2011. "A further investigation of unemployment persistence in European transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 514-532.
- Nezih Guner & Ezgi Kaya & Virginia Sánchez-Marcos, 2014.
"Gender Gaps in Spain: Policies and Outcomes over the Last Three Decades,"
751, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Nezih Guner & Ezgi Kaya & Virginia Sánchez-Marcos, 2014. "Gender gaps in Spain: policies and outcomes over the last three decades," SERIEs- Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 61-103, March.
- Guner, Nezih & Kaya, Ezgi & Sánchez-Marcos, Virginia, 2012. "Gender Gaps in Spain: Policies and Outcomes over the Last Three Decades," IZA Discussion Papers 6812, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David H. Autor & John J. Donohue III & Stewart J. Schwab, 2003.
"The Costs of Wrongful-Discharge Laws,"
NBER Working Papers
9425, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael W. L. Elsby & Jennifer C. Smith & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2011.
"The role of worker flows in the dynamics and distribution of UK unemployment,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 338-363.
- Elsby, Michael W.L. & Smith, Jennifer C. & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2011. "The role of worker flows in the dynamics and distribution of UK unemployment," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 962, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Elsby, Michael & Smith, Jennifer C. & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2011. "The Role of Worker Flows in the Dynamics and Distribution of UK Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 5784, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael W. L. Elsby & Jennifer C. Smith & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2011. "The Role of Worker Flows in the Dynamics and Distribution of UK Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp1058, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014.
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/1oclgdahv98, Sciences Po.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014. "Labor Economics," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01076752, HAL.
- John Haltiwanger & Hartmut Lehmann & Katherine Terrell, 2003. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in Transition Countries," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(2), pages 205-219, June.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Booth, Alison L & Taylor, Mark P, 2000. "Unemployment Persistence," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 24-50, January.
- Raul Eamets, 2004. "Labour market flows and adjustment to macroeconomic shocks in the Baltic States," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 47-71.
- Allan Drazen & Elhanan Helpman, 1986. "Inflationary Consequences of Anticipated Macroeconomic Policies," NBER Working Papers 2006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Lokshin & Martin Ravallion, 2000. "Welfare Impacts of the 1998 Financial Crisis in Russia and the Response of the Public Safety Net," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(2), pages 269-295, July.
- Franchi, Massimo & Ordóñez, Javier, 2011. "Multiple equilibria in Spanish unemployment," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 71-80, February.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726.
- Smith, Jennifer, 2010.
"The Ins and Outs of UK Unemployment,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
944, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Feldmann, Horst, 2009. "The unemployment effects of labor regulation around the world," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 76-90, March.
- Gregg, Paul & Tominey, Emma, 2005. "The wage scar from male youth unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 487-509, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isd:wpaper:53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Milena Borkowska)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.