Comparability of Health Care Responsiveness in Europe using anchoring vignettes from SHARE
The aim of this paper is to measure and to correct for the potential incomparability of responses to the SHARE survey on health care responsiveness. A parametric approach based on the use of anchoring vignettes is applied to cross-sectional data (2006-07) in ten European countries. More than 6,000 respondents aged 50 years old and over were asked to assess the quality of health care responsiveness in three domains: waiting time for medical treatment, quality of the conditions in visited health facilities, and communication and involvement in decisions about the treatment. Chopit models estimates suggest that reporting heterogenity is influenced by both individual (socio-economic, health) and national characteristics. Although correction for differential item functioning does not considerably modify countries ranking after controlling for the usual covariates, about two thirds of the respondents' self-assessments have been re-scaled in each domain. Our results suggest that reporting heterogenity tends to overestimate health care responsiveness for "time to wait for treatment", whereas it seems to underestimate people's self-assessment in the two other domains.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 93 43 00
Fax: 33 1 53 93 43 50
Web page: http://www.irdes.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elliott, Graham & Timmermann, Allan G, 2007.
CEPR Discussion Papers
6158, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rice, N & Robone, S & Smith, P.C, 2008. "The measurement and comparison of health system responsiveness," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 08/05, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Sophia Rabe-Hesketh & Anders Skrondal & Andrew Pickles, 2002. "Reliable estimation of generalized linear mixed models using adaptive quadrature," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Weale, M., 2005.
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0536, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-210598 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & van Soest, A.H.O., 2007.
"Vignettes and self-reports of work disability in the United States and the Netherlands,"
Other publications TiSEM
17902a1e-7cbb-4f3f-a772-e, School of Economics and Management.
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2007. "Vignettes and Self-Reports of Work Disability in the United States and the Netherlands," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 461-473, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:irh:wpaper:dt15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jacques Harrouin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.