The Effect of Waiting Time and Distance on Hospital Choice for English Cataract Patients
This paper applies latent-class and multinomial logit models to the choice of hospital for cataract operations in the UK NHS. We concentrate on the effects of travel time and waiting time and especially on the waiting time elasticity of demand. Models including hospital fixed effects rely on changes over time in waiting time to indentify coefficients. The results show how using latent-class multinomial logit models characterises the unobserved heterogeneity in GP practices' choice behaviour and affects the estimated waiting time elasticities of demand. The models estimate waiting time elasticities of demand of approximately -0.1, comparable with previous waiting time-demand models. For the average waiting time elasticity, the simple multinomial logit models are good approximations of the latent-class logit results.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://melbourneinstitute.unimelb.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Siciliani, Luigi & Straume, Odd Rune, 2008.
"Competition and waiting times in hospital markets,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(7), pages 1607-1628, July.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2007. "Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets," NIPE Working Papers 9/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Brekke, Kurt Richard & Siciliani, Luigi & Straume, Odd Rune, 2007. "Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2007. "Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2124, CESifo Group Munich.
- Propper, Carol & Burgess, Simon & Green, Katherine, 2004. "Does competition between hospitals improve the quality of care?: Hospital death rates and the NHS internal market," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(7-8), pages 1247-1272, July.
- Sophia Rabe-Hesketh & Anders Skrondal & Andrew Pickles, 2002. "Reliable estimation of generalized linear mixed models using adaptive quadrature," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Hodgkin, Dominic, 1996. "Specialized service offerings and patients' choice of hospital: The case of cardiac catheterization," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 305-332, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2010n10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Abbey Treloar)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.