Waiting-time targets in healthcare markets: How long are we waiting?
Waiting-time targets are frequently used by policy makers in the healthcare sector to monitor provider's performance. Such targets are based on the distribution of the patients on the list. We compare and link such distribution with the distribution of waiting time of the patients treated, as opposed to on the list, which is arguably a better measure of welfare or total disutility from waiting (although it can only be calculated retrospectively). We show that the latter can be estimated from the former, and viceversa. We also show that, depending the hazard function, one distribution may be more or less favourable than the other. However, empirically we find that the proportion of patients waiting on the list more than x months is a downward estimate of the proportion of patients treated waiting more than x months, therefore biasing downwards the total disutility from waiting.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Propper, Carol, 1990. "Contingent Valuation of Time Spent on NHS Waiting Lists," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 193-99, Supplemen.
- Carol Propper, 1995. "The Disutility of Time Spent on the United Kingdom's National Health Service Waiting Lists," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(4), pages 677-700.
- Hoel, Michael & Saether, Erik Magnus, 2003.
"Public health care with waiting time: the role of supplementary private health care,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 599-616, July.
- Michael Hoel & Erik Magnus Sæther, 2001. "Public Health Care with Waiting Time: The Role of Supplementary Private Health Care," CESifo Working Paper Series 562, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Pau Olivella, 2005.
"Waiting Lists and Patient Selection,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 623-646, 09.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita, 2000. "Waiting Lists and Patient Selection," CEPR Discussion Papers 2519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Pau Olivella, . "Waiting Lists And Patient Selection," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 444.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Pau Olivella Cunill & Pedro Pita Barros, 2000. "Waiting Lists and Patient Selection," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0283, Econometric Society.
- Iversen, Tor, 1993. "A theory of hospital waiting lists," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-71, April.
- Hugh Gravelle & Peter Smith & Ana Xavier, 2003. "Performance signals in the public sector: the case of health care," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 81-103, January.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2007.
"Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2124, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2007. "Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets," NIPE Working Papers 9/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Brekke, Kurt Richard & Siciliani, Luigi & Straume, Odd Rune, 2007. "Competition and Waiting Times in Hospital Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huw Dixon & Engin Kara, 2007.
"Persistence and Nominal Inertia in a Generalized Taylor Economy: How Longer Contracts Dominate Shorter Contracts,"
07-01, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Dixon, Huw & Kara, Engin, 2005. "Persistence and nominal inertia in a generalized Taylor economy: how longer contracts dominate shorter contracts," Working Paper Series 0489, European Central Bank.
- Engin Kara & Huw Dixon, 2005. "Persistence and Nominal Inertia in a Generalized Taylor Economy: How Longer Contracts Dominate Shorter Contracts," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 87, Society for Computational Economics.
- Engin Kara & Huw Dixon, 2005. "Persistence and Nominal Inertia in a Generalised Taylor Economy: How Loner Contracts Dominate Shorter Contracts," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 82, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Dixon, Huw David & Kara, Engin, 2007. "Persistence and Nominal Inertia in a Generalized Taylor Economy: How Longer Contracts Dominate Shorter Contracts," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2007/1, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Martin, Stephen & Rice, Nigel & Jacobs, Rowena & Smith, Peter, 2007. "The market for elective surgery: Joint estimation of supply and demand," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 263-285, March.
- Propper, Carol & Croxson, Bronwyn & Shearer, Arran, 2002.
"Waiting times for hospital admissions: the impact of GP fundholding,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 227-252, March.
- Croxson, Bronwyn & Propper, Carol & Shearer, Arran, 2000. "Waiting Times for Hospital Admissions: the Impact of GP Fundholding," CEPR Discussion Papers 2489, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521437899 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luigi Siciliani, 2005. "Does more choice reduce waiting times?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 17-23.
- Luigi Siciliani, 2008. "A note on the dynamic interaction between waiting times and waiting lists," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 639-647.
- Johannesson, Magnus & Johansson, Per-Olov & Söderqvist, Tore, 1997.
"Time Spent on Waiting Lists for Medical Care: An Insurance Approach,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
192, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Johannesson, Magnus & Johansson, Per-Olov & Soderqvist, Tore, 1998. "Time spent on waiting lists for medical care: an insurance approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 627-644, October.
- Propper Carol & Sutton Matt & Whitnall Carolyn & Windmeijer Frank, 2008.
"Did 'Targets and Terror' Reduce Waiting Times in England for Hospital Care?,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-27, January.
- Carol Propper & Matt Sutton & Carolyn Whitnall & Frank Windmeijer, 2007. "Did 'Targets and Terror' Reduce Waiting times in England for Hospital Care?," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 07/179, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Olivella, Pau, 2003. "Shifting public-health-sector waiting lists to the private sector," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 103-132, March.
- Siciliani, Luigi & Hurst, Jeremy, 2005. "Tackling excessive waiting times for elective surgery: a comparative analysis of policies in 12 OECD countries," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 201-215, May.
- Smith, Peter C. & van Ackere, Ann, 2002. "A note on the integration of system dynamics and economic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-10, January.
- Stephen Martin & Peter C. Smith, 2003. "Using panel methods to model waiting times for National Health Service surgery," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 166(3), pages 369-387.
- Bishai, David M. & Lang, Hui Chu, 2000. "The willingness to pay for wait reduction: the disutility of queues for cataract surgery in Canada, Denmark, and Spain," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 219-230, March.
- Gravelle, Hugh & Siciliani, Luigi, 2008. "Optimal quality, waits and charges in health insurance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 663-674, May.
- Luigi Siciliani & Steve Martin, 2007. "An empirical analysis of the impact of choice on waiting times," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(8), pages 763-779.
- Martin, Stephen & Smith, Peter C., 1999. "Rationing by waiting lists: an empirical investigation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 141-164, January.
- Lindsay, Cotton M & Feigenbaum, Bernard, 1984. "Rationing by Waiting Lists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 404-17, June.
- Hugh Gravelle & Luigi Siciliani, 2006.
"Is Waiting-time Prioritisation Welfare Improving?,"
06/13, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Siciliani Luigi, 2007. "Optimal Contracts for Health Services in the Presence of Waiting Times and Asymmetric Information," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-27, August.
- Hugh Gravelle & Luigi Siciliani, 2009.
"Third degree waiting time discrimination: optimal allocation of a public sector healthcare treatment under rationing by waiting,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 977-986.
- Hugh Gravelle & Luigi Siciliani, 2007. "Third degree waiting time discrimination: optimal allocation of a public sector health care treatment under rationing by waiting," Discussion Papers 07/22, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Luigi Sicilani & Jeremy Hurst, 2004. "Explaining Waiting-time Variations for Elective Surgery Across OECD Countries," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2004(1), pages 95-123.
- Gravelle, Hugh & Dusheiko, Mark & Sutton, Matthew, 2002. "The demand for elective surgery in a public system: time and money prices in the UK National Health Service," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 423-449, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:7261. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.