Time Spent on Waiting Lists for Medical Care: An Insurance Approach
In this paper, we develop a simple model of the benefits and costs of being on a waiting list. The model shows that complex factors are in operation, implying that a shorter waiting time need not necessarily be preferred to a longer waiting time. We also present an empirical study, where a sample of Swedes are offered the possibility of purchasing private insurance, thus reducing waiting time for surgery beyond the three-month guarantee offered by the public sector health care system. Respondents could choose between two insurance contracts. A 'spike' model, where the probability of a zero WTP is strictly positive, was developed and estimated to obtain demand functions for private insurance.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||05 Sep 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Health Economics, 1998, pages 627-644.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Leonard, Gregory K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1995. "A utility-consistent, combined discrete choice and count data model Assessing recreational use losses due to natural resource damage," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Iversen, Tor, 1993. "A theory of hospital waiting lists," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-71, April.
- McAvinchey, Ian D. & Yannopoulos, Andreas, 1993. "Elasticity estimates from a dynamic model of interrelated demands for private and public acute health care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-186, July.
- Peter A. Diamond & Jerry A. Hausman, 1994. "Contingent Valuation: Is Some Number Better than No Number?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 45-64, Fall.
- Cullis, John G. & Jones, Philip R., 1985. "National health service waiting lists : A discussion of competing explanations and a policy proposal," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 119-135, June.
- Johannesson, Magnus & Johansson, Per-Olov, 1996. "To Be, or Not to Be, That Is the Question: An Empirical Study of the WTP for an Increased Life Expectancy at an Advanced Age," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 163-74, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521478786 is not listed on IDEAS
- Johannesson, Magnus & Johansson, Per-Olov, 1995.
"Quality of Life and the WTP for an Increased Life Expectancy at an Advanced Age,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
85, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Johannesson, Magnus & Johansson, Per-Olov, 1997. "Quality of life and the WTP for an increased life expectancy at an advanced age," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 219-228, August.
- Jones-Lee, M W, 1991. " Altruism and the Value of Other People's Safety," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 213-19, April.
- Carol Propper, 1995. "The Disutility of Time Spent on the United Kingdom's National Health Service Waiting Lists," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(4), pages 677-700.
- Blomqvist, Ake & Johansson, Per-Olov, 1996.
"Economic Efficiency and Mixed Public/Private Insurance,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
110, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomqvist, A. & Johansson, P-O., 1997. "Economic efficiency and mixed public/private insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 505-516, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521472852 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cullis, John G & Jones, Philip R, 1986. "Rationing by Waiting Lists: An Implication," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 250-56, March.
- Iversen, Tor, 1997. "The effect of a private sector on the waiting time in a national health service," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 381-396, August.
- Steven Globerman, 1991. "A policy analysis of hospital waiting lists," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 247-262.
- Besley, Timothy, 1989. "Publicly provided disaster insurance for health and the control of moral hazard," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 141-156, July.
- Lindsay, Cotton M & Feigenbaum, Bernard, 1984. "Rationing by Waiting Lists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 404-17, June.
- Selden, Thomas M., 1993. "Should the government provide catastrophic insurance?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 241-247, June.
- Propper, Carol, 1990. "Contingent Valuation of Time Spent on NHS Waiting Lists," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 193-99, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.