Growth and Deprivation in India: What Does Recent Data Say?
We investigate the relationship between growth and deprivation in India, an issue of immense interest. Given the continuing controversy in India over poverty lines, we use a framework that rigorously assesses the impact of growth on the poor over a range of poverty lines. Using National Sample Surveys on consumption expenditure, we show that while growth has “trickled down” in both rural and urban areas, it has not been in favour of the poor. In urban areas, growth has been “anti-poor.” We extend this methodology to incorporate sub-groups and consider disadvantaged caste groups and poorer/lower classes. We find that growth has not been in favour of the poor among these groups. Our findings raise serious concerns about the “inclusiveness” of Indian growth. Our analysis also has implications for pro-poor growth and the measurement of inequality.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos & Mathieu Audet & Paul Makdissi, 2009.
"Testing For Pro-Poorness Of Growth, With An Application To Mexico,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(4), pages 853-881, December.
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos & Mathieu Audet & Paul Makdissi, 2007. "Testing for pro-poorness of growth, with an application to Mexico," Cahiers de recherche 07-07, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos & Mathieu Audet & Paul Makdissi, 2007. "Testing for Pro-poorness of Growth, with an Application to Mexico," Cahiers de recherche 0709, CIRPEE.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. II," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 82-111, August.
- Ankita Mishra & Ranjan Ray, 2011. "Prices, Inequality, And Poverty: Methodology And Indian Evidence," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(3), pages 428-448, 09.
- Ankita Mishra & Ranjan Ray, 2009. "Prices, Inequality and Poverty: Methodology and Indian Evidence," Monash Economics Working Papers 27-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- (No last name available), Himanshu, 2013. "Poverty and Food Security in India," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 369, Asian Development Bank.
- Ashok Kotwal & Bharat Ramaswami & Wilima Wadhwa, 2011. "Economic Liberalization and Indian Economic Growth: What's the Evidence?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1152-1199, December.
- Ashkok Kotwal & Bharat Ramaswami & Wilima Wadhwa, 2011. "Economic liberalization and Indian economic growth: What's the evidence?," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 11-13, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Neri, Marcelo Côrtes & Son, Hyun H., 2010. "Linkages Between Pro-Poor Growth, Social Programs and Labor Market: The Recent Brazilian Experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 881-894, June.
- Sripad Motiram & Lars Osberg, 2012. "Demand or supply for schooling in rural India?," electronic International Journal of Time Use Research, Research Institute on Professions (Forschungsinstitut Freie Berufe (FFB)) and The International Association for Time Use Research (IATUR), vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, November.
- Sripad Motiram & Lars Osberg, 2011. "Demand or supply for schooling in rural India?," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2011-010, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Jean-Yves Duclos, 2009. "What is “Pro-Poor”?," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 32(1), pages 37-58, January.
- Balakrishnan, Pulapre, 2010. "Economic Growth in India: History and Prospect," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198065470.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. I," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 416-442, June.
- Son, Hyun Hwa, 2004. "A note on pro-poor growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 307-314, March.
- S. Narayan, 2009. "India," Chapters,in: The Political Economy of Trade Reform in Emerging Markets, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 2003. "Measuring pro-poor growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 93-99, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2013-287. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.