On the 'Inclusiveness' of India's Consumption Expenditure Growth
This paper reviews the evidence on the `inclusiveness´ of the growth in consumption expenditure that has occurred in India over the last four decades or so. The notion of dynamic inclusiveness is framed in terms of imagined normative allocations of the inter-temporal product of growth, as dictated by notions of equity of varying orders of demandingness. There are analytical parallels between these exercises and those involved in the study of bankruptcy in `Talmudic estate problems´, as well as in the determination of optimal anti-poverty budgetary allocations. The issue of inclusive growth is reviewed in this paper with respect to inclusiveness across both income classes and social groups such as caste and occupation. The results of the investigation undertaken in the essay suggest distressingly little evidence of inclusiveness in India´s consumption growth experience.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. II," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 82-111, August.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2006.
"Globalization, poverty, and inequality: What is the relationship? What can be done?,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1361-1373, August.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2005. "Globalization, Poverty and Inequality: What Is the Relationship? What Can Be Done?," WIDER Working Paper Series 032, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kaushik Basu, 2010. "Globalization, Poverty and Inequality: What Is the Relationship? What Can Be Done?," Working Papers id:3234, eSocialSciences.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2005. "Globalization, Poverty and Inequality: What Is the Relationship? What Can Be Done?," Working Papers 05-13, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. I," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 416-442, June.
- Bibi, Sami & Duclos, Jean-Yves & Verdier-Chouchane, Audrey, 2012.
"Assessing absolute and relative pro-poor growth, with an application to selected African countries,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 6, pages 1-43.
- Bibi, Sami & Duclos, Jean-Yves & Verdier-Chouchane, Audrey, 2011. "Assessing absolute and relative pro-poor growth, with an application to selected African countries," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-34, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- François BOURGUIGNON & Gary S. FIELDS, 1990.
"Poverty Measures and Anti-Poverty Policy,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1990038, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bourguignon, F. & Fields, G.S., 1990. "Poverty Measures and Anti-Poverty Policy," DELTA Working Papers 90-04, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Kaminski, Marek M., 2000. "'Hydraulic' rationing," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 131-155, September.
- Aumann, Robert J. & Maschler, Michael, 1985. "Game theoretic analysis of a bankruptcy problem from the Talmud," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 195-213, August.
- Klasen, Stephan, 2008. "Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction: Measurement Issues using Income and Non-Income Indicators," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 420-445, March.Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
- Stephan Klasen, 2006. "Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction: Measurement Issues using Income and Non-Income Indicators," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 142, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2012-057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mauricio Roa Grisales)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.