History dependent growth incidence: A characterisation and an application to the economic crisis in Italy
We propose a characterisation of an aggregate measure of growth that takes into account the initial economic conditions of individuals. Our measure is a weighted average of individual income growth with weights that are decreasing with the rank of the individual in the initial income distribution. We apply our theoretical framework to evaluate the growth processes experienced by the Italian population in the last decade and find that the 2008-2010 crisis deteriorated the income growth of the initially poor disproportionately. This is compatible with the dual nature of the Italian labour market.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Grimm, 2007.
"Removing the anonymity axiom in assessing pro-poor growth,"
The Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 5(2), pages 179-197, August.
- Michael Grimm, 2005. "Removing the anonymity axiom in assessing pro-poor growth," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 113, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2009. "Income mobility profiles," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 93-95, February.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1980. "A single-parameter generalization of the Gini indices of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-86, February.
- repec:bai:series:wp0039 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Van Kerm, Philippe, 2011.
"Trends in individual income growth: measurement methods and British evidence,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2011-06, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- JENKINS Stephen P. & VAN KERM Philippe, 2011. "Trends in individual income growth: measurement methods and British evidence," LISER Working Paper Series 2011-21, LISER.
- Stephen P. Jenkins & Philippe van Kerm, 2011. "Trends in individual income growth: measurement Methods and British evidence," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 58209, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Van Kerm, Philippe, 2011. "Trends in Individual Income Growth: Measurement Methods and British Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 5510, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- HILDEBRAND Vincent & PI ALPERIN Maria Noel & VAN KERM Philippe, 2012. "Measuring and accounting for the deprivation gap of Portuguese immigrants in Luxembourg," LISER Working Paper Series 2012-33, LISER.
- Massimo Baldini & Daniele Pacifico, 2009.
"The recent reforms of the Italian personal income tax: distributive and efficiency effects,"
Department of Economics
0611, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Baldini Massimo & Pacifico Daniele, 2009. "The Recent reforms of the Italian Personal Income Tax: Distributive and Efficiency Effects," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 191-218.
- Massimo Baldini & Daniele Pacifico, 2009. "The recent reforms of the Italian personal income tax: distributive and efficiency effects," Center for the Analysis of Public Policies (CAPP) 0066, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Ivan Faiella & Romina Gambacorta, 2007. "The Weighting Process in the SHIW," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 636, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2008.
"On analysing the world distribution of income,"
97, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- DEMUYNCK, Thomas & VAN DE GAER, Dirk, .
"Inequality adjusted income growth,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2505, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Flaviana Palmisano, 2012. "The distributional incidence of growth: a non-anonymous and rank dependent approach," SERIES 0039, Dipartimento di Scienze economiche e metodi matematici - Università di Bari, revised Jul 2012.
- Tullio Jappelli & Luigi Pistaferri, 2009.
"Does Consumption Inequality Track Income Inequality in Italy?,"
CSEF Working Papers
229, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Tullio Jappelli & Luigi Pistaferri, 2010. "Does Consumption Inequality Track Income Inequality in Italy?," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(1), pages 133-153, January.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. I," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 416-442, June.
- Nanak Kakwani & Hyun H. Son, 2008. "Poverty Equivalent Growth Rate," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(4), pages 643-655, December.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. II," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 82-111, August.
- Son, Hyun Hwa, 2004. "A note on pro-poor growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 307-314, March.
- Essama-Nssah, B., 2005. "A unified framework for pro-poor growth analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 216-221, November.
- Fields, Gary S. & Ok, Efe A., 1996. "The Measurement of Income Mobility: An Introduction to the Literature," Working Papers 96-05, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Kraay, Aart, 2006. "When is growth pro-poor? Evidence from a panel of countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 198-227, June.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 2003.
"Measuring pro-poor growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 93-99, January.
- Grosse, Melanie & Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan, 2008. "Measuring Pro-Poor Growth in Non-Income Dimensions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1021-1047, June.
- Bossert, Walter, 1990. "An axiomatization of the single-series Ginis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 82-92, February.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Massimo Baldini & Stefano Toso & Paolo Bosi, 2002. "Targeting welfare in Italy: old problems and perspectives on reform," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 23(1), pages 51-75, March.
- Fields, Gary S & Ok, Efe A, 1999. "Measuring Movement of Incomes," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(264), pages 455-71, November.
- B. Essama-Nssah & Peter J. Lambert, 2009. "Measuring Pro-Poorness: A Unifying Approach With New Results," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(3), pages 752-778, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2013-314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.