A Reassessment of Japanfs Big Bang Financial Regulatory Reform
This paper reassesses the results of Japanfs financial deregulation over the last two decades. Japanfs Big Bang sought to transform a highly regulated bank-centered financial system to a transparent, market-centered financial system to revitalize Japanfs economy and aging society. Prior assessments generally view this reform effort as a failure due to Japanfs low economic growth rate. This paper finds, contrary to conventional wisdom, that government-led deregulatory and administrative reform was largely successful in removing legal and administrative obstacles to the development of a market-centered financial system. However, the persistence of past practices by market participants and strong headwinds such as low macroeconomic growth and poor financial market performance prevented achievement of the Big Bangf s ambitious goals. This illustrates both the limits of what can be accomplished through deregulation of financial markets and the problem inherent in using a results-oriented standard in evaluating Japanfs reform efforts.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark M. Spiegel & Jose A. Lopez, 2009.
"Foreign entry into underwriting services: evidence from Japan's "Big Bang" deregulation,"
Working Paper Series
2009-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jose A. Lopez & Mark M. Spiegel, 2014. "Foreign Entry into Underwriting Services: Evidence from Japan's “Big Bang” Deregulation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(2-3), pages 445-468, 03.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Hibiki Ichiue, 2006. "Development of Japan’s credit markets," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Developing corporate bond markets in Asia, volume 26, pages 88-95 Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan Batten & Peter Szilagyi, 2003. "Why Japan Needs to Develop its Corporate Bond Market," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 83-108.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ime:imedps:11-e-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kinken)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.